Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Was this flown with an autopilot or not?

Easy. Try this with my STEC AP on. Would be like a track of a cow walking home.

Very nice job, congratulations!

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

A/Ps are for… alright, forget it for now… 🤣

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Fresh IR rating pilot here. :)

From a IR student perspective, I thought this is normal :)

Anyway, thanks @Snoopy for professional and quality IR training.
Now… looking forward to gain some IR experience, with and without autopilot :)

LQVI,LJMB

Well done @ermajn. I also have a 172N with a 430W, but still working towards the IR.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

@LeSving , is that a Precision Pilot Competition? I had a go at this in France. Good fun, but found that to really compete, I needed more time than work allowed for competitions and practice. Plus, you really need a slow highwing aeroplane as you need to look directly below for symbols while flying an accurate track at less than 85kts safely. Our aeroclub went from having a 108hp Robin (which would fly slow enough safely) to a quicker 160hp Robin, but despite the great viz of a Robin, you still cant see directly below properly as the wing gets in the way.

Regards, SD..

Congrats!
I fly IFR without autopilot as well and for me the trick is to extensively use the magenta diamond on the Garmin G5 for track indication. It helps finding the wind correction angle fast and without much guessing. Now go do some long cross countries! I was amazed at how easy it is compared to VFR — as long as the weather plays along and the avionics work, of course.

Respect! I wouldn’t want fly IFR without AP. I can do it in case of equipment failure, but in high stress situations, eg turbulence and many heading and altitude changes, I sure am happy to have an AP. Feel it makes my flying safer as it frees up mental capacity.

Switzerland

is that a Precision Pilot Competition

Yes. Really hard, but really fun. Need more practice, and a super good compass, or gyro. Normally I would say within a minute is super high precision. Here precision is within a second.

It’s the thing with precision flying. It seems impossible at first, but that’s in large due to zero focus on that aspect. It’s amazing what kind of precision is possible (like that IFR tracking is an evidence of) I remember when I was doing night flying. The instructor wanted me to use the AI (G1000) to stay on the correct track and correct alt. The alt was 2000 feet. I asked him how big a fudge factor he expected. He just looked at me slightly irritated and said: “I said 2000 feet” Well, it wasn’t impossible after all. Adding more factors, it gets more complicated of course.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Another one for consideration:

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

That could be done by hand. With great care it is possible to fly an accurate rate 1 turn and hit your own wake. I’ve done it a few times but mostly it doesn’t work. You have to descend a little too because the vortices descend at about -300fpm.

In still air, a constant rate turn will produce a circle.

I reckon it was done on autopilot though :smile;

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message