Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crap Landings

After all these super hero stories I thought I might start a new thread with a real Crap Landing.

It was only 6 kt cross from the left so I thought, landing was finished after touch down. But that was not the case. I landed in a small crab and got a nice wing lift and it took me 1-2 secs to react properly. I'm happy I survived it. But these are the situations where learning takes place. The clip was recorded by my wife and you can hear her voice.

The Silver Eagle is quite fragile in this regard. I have seen other clips where this happend too. I don't land in a crab anymore, always cross rudder, aileron into the wind.

Do you have clips of your crappy landings? Post it here.

EDXQ

More than once I thought I'd have to pay 3 landing fees

My last encounter was in Egypt, St. Catherine HESC, at 4368ft and ISA+20 at least. The last airplane before me was almost 4 months ago. Tower gave me a landing clearance and said wind 10kts about 20 degrees from the right so negligible. I was flying with a large crab angle but it is not unusual for the wind to calm down once you get close to the ground.

Well, when I started to flare, I was pushed all the way over the runway to the other side and I just managed to land on the tarmac, maybe half a meter of runaway. It turned out the wind was ca. 25kt at 90 degrees. The airports wind meter had frozen in position some months ago and nobody bothered and was happily using that 10kt as wind.

Lesson learned: look for the windsock, never believe the tower, even if it's ATC.

At least you hit the centreline :-) Better a crap landing on the centreline than a grease on top of the runway edge lights I always tell my students...

Do you have clips of your crappy landings? Post it here.

No, I'm afraid not. There must be thousands of crappy landings, but luckily nobody ever filmed them. I think only one of my landings (in 35 years since my first solo in a glider) was ever filmed and that was done by one of our co-pilots with a go-pro camera recently. Not crappy enough for posting it here.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Gee, that looked scary!

I don't have videos of my worst ones... But my "record" was when I was standing on the right brake while landing on a snow covered runway. That was still while doing my PPL but on my own plane. Did 1.5 Three-Sixties on the ground and ended in deep snow... airplane undamaged!

You bet that from that day I have my heels on the floor :-)

PS. Who are the super heroes?

funny that play on words crab ./. crap had you done that landing in a taildragger it would have caused the aircraft to ground loop ...

EDxx, Germany

This was not far away from a prop strike ($100K incl all implications) but a roll would certainly had killed us with the hot turbine and plenty of fuel. This was only 6 kt cross...

EDXQ

How are "shock loadings" handled with a turbine? Wouldn't that be much mure expensive than 100K?

Lesson learned: look for the windsock, never believe the tower, even if it's ATC.

And I'm sure a few other lessons were taken from this...which I won't point out to avoid the risk of teaching you to suck eggs! :)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Delete that video before you put up your Silver Eagle for sale

At my home airport, some years ago, a renter landed a chartered C414 THAT HARD that it would only stand on two wheels later ... one was always 10 cm off the ground ... wonder how the owner liked that :-)

39 Posts
Sign in to add your message