Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Going missed under IFR from VPT?

We did the XYZ previously e.g. here. Is the above a general rule, especially regarding the lowest minima etc?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

VPT-A is based on LOC-A and RNP-A, the -A refers to it as being designed as cloud-break you fly IFR until MAPT at 2000ft before switching VFR (it is not designed as instrument approach where you fly IFR all the way until ground to land on an instrument runway as per ICAO Annex14)

AFAIK, a VPT procedure is an IFR procedure just like any visual approach. Of course is has to be flown visually, but it is still IFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

How does one go about going missed on VPT,

This is what PANS-OPS says:

the missed approach for the normal instrument procedure applies, but the prescribed tracks provide for manoeuvring to allow for a go-around and to achieve a safe altitude/height thereafter (joining the downwind leg of the prescribed track procedure or the instrument missed approach trajectory).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

the above a general rule, especially regarding the lowest minima etc?

Yes anything in bottom of alphabet, will be buttom of navigator page, and will have be lowest minima: as in low & slow, when aircraft flies slowly it can acheive steep descent GP, steep climb PDG and tight circling with small radius: an IFR Maule would do any ILS-Z and any RNP-D out there

Sorry, I made a typo in previous post, it’s bottom of navigator not top of it, lowest

This is what PANS-OPS says:

Thanks I missed that bit, yes it seems to make sense: you just keep flying your prescribed track during missed even inside clouds (this can be easily done with pannel or tablet GPS but unlikely to work using conventional navigation)

AFAIK, a VPT procedure is an IFR procedure just like any visual approach. Of course is has to be flown visually, but it is still IFR

I was referring to -A, LOC-A followed by VPT-A, yes it’s approach to circling only that never leads to an instrument runway, it’s IFR untill apron though…

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Jul 11:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message