Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German AIP-VFR, free online access coming in 2023

Matt_FK wrote:

The Article of aerokurier gives some good Info (the Google Chrome Translation to English is rather good)

aerokurier

Didn’t knew they receive 20 million € tax money / Year to handle all the VFR (+sub 2000kg IFR?) Planes

Thanks for the link.

According to the article, the AIP will be available in PDF form and sufficient resolution to print in DIN A4 format. Only single pages though, as posted by @boscomantico in the OP.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Here we are.

Of course, they didnt translate the menus/titles in English… the docs themselves are of course bilingual.

It looks to me to be rather complete. The only thing that is missing (but this is already avaiable in the IFR section for some reason) are the AIC VFR (which are rare anyway).

As expected, it is quite clumsy to use with all those single files. For example, if you want to look up AD2 type information for say Mainbullau airfield, you have to sort of guess where “M” might be in this pile of files and then proceed via trial and error.

As I said before, the files are png, not pdf.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Jan 09:15
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

As expected, it is quite clumsy to use with all those single files.

I would say this format shows, once more and as expected, the usual cockiness of certain parts of German aviation authorities, they give us the bird.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 05 Jan 09:19
Germany

Matt_FK wrote:

Didn’t knew they receive 20 million € tax money / Year to handle all the VFR (+sub 2000kg IFR?) Planes

I’d set up a company to do it for only 19 million!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

As expected, it is quite clumsy to use with all those single files. For example, if you want to look up AD2 type information for say Mainbullau airfield, you have to sort of guess where “M” might be in this pile of files and then proceed via trial and error.

I don’t understand why you write that. To access Mainbullau airfield, you click on “AD Flugplätze”, then “M”, then “Mainbulla EDFU”. I would say it is more access by ICAO code that is missing.

ELLX

That sorting exists only for the charts, not for the texts.

boscomantico wrote:

It’s not quite that bad as the pages are in alphabetical order.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

20 million € – unbelievable. But actually not; once you get some web devs, say 1.5k/day, and you give them a spec which they know is crap, they will give you a low-ball quote knowing the real money will be made on actually getting it to work. Then they will use fashionable frameworks which will be obsolete next year, generating nice money in maintenance.

This is a standard method, perfected by the likes of EDS on NHS IT projects

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The €20M is what the DFS gets from the government to handle VFR traffic (FIS, NOTAM and flight plan handling etc). Not the VFR AIP website!

AOPA-Germany made the argument that with this amount of money, the DFS really should have no need to charge for the VFR AIP.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Jan 13:26
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

It’s not quite that bad as the pages are in alphabetical order.

A good one!

Yeah, they could have just shuffled the pages first and then uploaded them…

Sign in to add your message