Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Envelope Protection Technology training

I recently started instructing PPL with a student on his own C172 with GFC500 and AoA indicator. I believe there is no input from the AoA to the AP but will check.
During stall exercises the student was fighting the envelope protection system, but I might not have realised that at once had it not been for the trim wheel moving at the same time. I had forgotten about the full-time protection. Then we pulled the AP circuit breaker and had to live with no electric trim, and we had to remember to re-engage the autopilot system when airwork was completed.

We are developing a new checklist after the airplane’s avionics upgrade anyway, and handling the autopilot system should definitely be included.

I found this but have not gained access yet:
Use of Garmin Autopilot Envelope Protection System for Simplified Vehicle Operations in General Aviation
by Stephen Sullivan
A thesis submitted to the College of Engineering and Science of Florida Institute of Technology
in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of
Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering
Melbourne, Florida
May, 2020

huv
EKRK, Denmark

@huv thank you it would be great if someone might post what the manual says on supplemental flight training and the operational limitations.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@huv is there not an over-ride button on the yoke? I think it’s a requirement to easily disengage it.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Usually pressing the autopilot disconnect button on the yoke overrides the envelope protection. But only for so long as you keep it pressed.

EHBD, Netherlands
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message