Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russia spoofing / jamming GPS

Will go over the edge of this at 6kft

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 13:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

An Iphone 12 for example has GPS/Galileo/Glonass (plus the Chinese and Japanese, but its not relevant here).

Galileo is non functional.
Glonass is not a whole lot of use – controlled by the USSR

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Galileo is non functional.

Really? My phone is at this moment receiving 8 Galileo satellites.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My Garmin Aera 660 gets 1 or 2, or a good day

And which panel mounted avionics use Galileo?

Also if Navstar is jammed/spoofed, so will Galileo.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

My Garmin Aera 660 gets 1 or 2, or a good day

Well, I get 8 indoors right now.

And which panel mounted avionics use Galileo?

How is that related to whether Galileo is “functional” or not? GLONASS is certainly “functional” but no panel mount avionics can use it either. At least non any certified for light GA in the west.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So we are back to the good old VOR and dead reckoning?
I wonder what will happen with the plan of replacing ground-based navigation with satellite-based?

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

Is this likely to be aimed against consumer drones, or are they likely to continue to work even without gps? Presumably without gps they’ll have to transmit video all the time, and remain under constant control, making both drones and pilots easier to detect?

Don’t the US routinely degrade the GPS in conflict zones? One musn’t forget that it’s military in origin and one of the reasons everyone, including the europeans, has their own system. You wouldn’t want to rely on your enemies navigational data to aim your missiles. As to how accurate GLONASS is in the Ukraine at the moment… I wouldn’t rely on it, either.

As for spoofing/jamming, yes, that’s also possible, so – back to dead reckoning and compass. And QDM, probably, in a pinch.

Berlin, Germany

including the europeans, has their own system.

There is an agreement between the US and the EU – originally secret – that if the US shuts down theirs, the EU will also shut down Galileo. This was done after the US stated that if Galileo is used to facilitate a war on the US, and the EU refuses to shut it down, the US will (obviously) shoot down the satellites.

So if there is real trouble, you will lose the lot.

Also jammers jam everything because it is all near the same carrier frequency.

Administrator

That sounds a little one-sided.

Sign in to add your message