Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Child Seats in Aircraft

I have the Brittax Eclipse, which I understand is certified for aviation use (TUV) from 9kg to 18kg. Purchased new around a year ago so I suspect this is still available on the market.

I also have an Amsafe CARES restraint (https://www.amsafe.com/kidsflysafe-com/) which is FAA certified for children between 22-44lbs (https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children##Cares). I had always assumed that being FAA certified the CARES restraint would also be permitted for use in EASA aircraft but perhaps looking at AMC to NCO.IDE.A.140 that may not be the case?

Britax Eclipse looks unavailable anywhere
Totally forgot CARES !

• from 0 to 13kg, plenty of car seats certified for airplane use.
  • beyond 24 months, you have no requirement to use a child seat. Which is nonsense. In France, kids up to age 10 must have a certified restraint system
  • between 10 and 20 kg and up to 1m tall, CARES is an option (84 USD+shipping)

About CARES :

If you’re using a CARES device, make sure it has
“FAA Approved in Accordance with 14 CFR 21.8(d), Approved for Aircraft Use Only”
or “FAA Approved in Accordance with 14 CFR 21.305(d), Amd 21.50 6-9-1980, Approved for Aircraft Use Only” on it.

I guess it falls under this paragraph of NCO IDE 140 :

(7) CRDs manufactured and tested according to other technical standards equivalent to those listed above. The devices should be marked with an associated qualification sign, which shows the name of the qualification organisation and a specific identification number, related to the associated qualification project. The qualifying organisation should be a competent and independent organisation that is acceptable to the competent authority.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

beyond 24 months, you have no requirement to use a child seat. Which is nonsense. In France, kids up to age 10 must have a certified restraint system

Yes, that is the law. According to actual tests with a crash dummy emulating a child as young as three (and even more for above), it doesn’t improve their safety compared to the seat belt, tough. When actually tested, plain seat belts pass the crash test required of child car seats, with a margin, so much that some approved and authorised child car seats test worse than plain seat belts. See https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_surprising_stats_about_child_carseats

Explicit note: this is about kids/children, not infants/toddlers up to two years; the latter are better in a seat made specially for their size.

Last Edited by lionel at 22 Mar 19:39
ELLX

I think having child car seats for > 24m is a good idea when it comes to keeping aircraft and car very clean, the bonus they also help getting kids used to swap car/aircraft easily, they are used to them in terms of comfort and smell…I prefer washing child car seats than leather seats

See https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_surprising_stats_about_child_carseats

Good to know, I had no idea about crash safety case for them for kids in 24m-10y bands? in my days we were told “get in the f***g car and hug and stap with your aunt”, it was not bad at all

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Mar 20:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I see the Romer Eclipse does seem to be unavailable on most websites now but does show in stock on “this Greece website”:
https://www.mothercare.gr/en/car-seats-carriers/car-seats/britax-britax-romer-eclipse-car-seat-black-thunder-black-thunder/x2423

You also need to purchase this aircraft accessory (belt shortener), required to make it legal for aircraft use although I found it was not really necessary in Cirrus SR20.

Amazon

Britax Eclipse is on second hand sites for 50€. I think I will go that way.
Thanks to all.

LFOU, France

lionel wrote:

some approved and authorised child car seats test worse than plain seat belts

Thanks Lionel, this was really interesting. Since the time of that lecture, I would say Isofix or LATCH seats are safer in cars than the type tested. Doesn’t help us in our non-isofix aeroplanes though

As a datapoint, we don’t use car seats in the plane any more (youngest is 3.5), but they do have 3 point seatbelts.

If it helps Dublinpilot, Alpha Aviation have an STC to add 3 point seatbelts to many types, including PA28 back seats: $575 for fixed straps or $675 for inertia reel (per seat).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

If it helps Dublinpilot, Alpha Aviation have an STC to add 3 point seatbelts to many types, including PA28 back seats:

Do they really? The page you link to suggests that the STC is only for aircraft that already have factory installed shoulder harnesses.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Tried yesterday the Britax Romer Eclipse (bought used for 25€) in a DR400.
The little passenger seemed to like it

LFOU, France

If it helps Dublinpilot, Alpha Aviation have an STC to add 3 point seatbelts to many types, including PA28 back seats: $575 for fixed straps or $675 for inertia reel (per seat).

I guess that would work on EASA/CAA reg as well with CS153? AFAIK, FAA rules allow these under minor change when attachements are bolted or clamped to an existing structure rather than welded to piece of the airframe (major change)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 May 13:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message