Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in New Zealand - Update

New Zealand update

I was fortunate to be able to visit New Zealand last year and to do some flying. There’s an account of my trip here and also in one of the other places. In summary, the NZ scenery can never be overstated and the country is very GA oriented, making it quite possibly the best air touring destination in the world.

Visiting pilots can get a temporary visitor permit or apply for a permanent NZ PPL.

However:

A major impediment in the way of visiting pilots is formed by NZ CAA requirements for certain types of terrain awareness training that are unlikely to be in typical UK PPL logbooks. This amounts to 5 Hrs of mountain and low flying according to a prescribed syllabus, the low flying (200 – 500’) being carried out in designated areas that are common in NZ, but not in UK!

This is one reason why most pilots visiting the country end up taking accompanied trips into places like Milford Sound and miss out on the fantastic touring opportunities that the country offers.

A recent compromise offered by NZ CAA has softened the situation somewhat by accepting that certain types of foreign experience may meet these requirements, such as perhaps a specific foreign mountain flying qualification. Unfortunately most PPL’s are unlikely to have this, and even less likely to have logbook evidence of flying at 200’ – 500’! If you do have that type of experience, they may accept you – but it will be hard to establish that from outside of the country.

All this can be done – I did it – but you need to be very determined and flexible.

However, there is another way….

A Pilot Certificate issued by the Recreational Aircraft Association of New Zealand or similar organisation allows visitors to fly day VFR in LSA type Part 103 aircraft without the specific training requirements referred to above.

Unlike the PPL or visitor permit, there is no instrument requirement for a certificate. There is a low flying/terrain awareness element but it is not specified in hours and so can be undertaken as part of the familiarisation training.

John Nicholls, a lifelong friend who now lives in NZ, (and this is a shameless plug!) has invested in a brand new Tecnam P2008LSA fitted with dual Dynon Glass cockpit displays, based in Keri Keri in the beautiful Bay of Islands, about 5 Hr by road N of Auckland. The Tecnam is a real aircraft superior in most respects to the 152 (The cabin width is claimed to be wider than a 172!) It has an MAUW of 600Kg including 20Kg baggage, is powered by a 100hp Rotax 912ULS engine and can be comfortably cruised at over 100Kts with about 20Ltr/hour with 100Ltr useable fuel.

John is a former UK CFI and flight school owner and is completely familiar with the issues faced by UK visitors wishing to fly in NZ. He’s keen to encourage UK visitors (assuming their flying is at a reasonable standard) and will release the aircraft for pre-arranged touring itineraries. I can say from experience that this type of thing is difficult to arrange with typical NZ aero clubs, who have other priorities.

I’ve no commercial interest in this and I’m mentioning it here with Peter’s agreement in order to test the water. If anyone would like to know more, please get in touch. John’s website is at flyitnz.com.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

WTF do you need to have 200'-500' flying experience? Who would fly that low unless on a safari?

Have you got any reference for the low flying requirement? Sounds VERY weird to me. Even if you were experienced in this, you probably wouldn't want to shout about it (and certainly not have in the logbook), unless you flew a lot in the deserts of the SW USA, Africa or Central Australia.

Interesting! Actually not a bad exercise......

Who would fly that low unless on a safari?

You might need to view it against the perspective of tourism in NZ generally. On the morning of my arrival there had been a tragedy involving some German students who had gone off a mountain road in fog. The NZ PM was interviewed on TV saying that the rules for foreign drivers might have to be reviewed, and added that another issue was that "Foreign pilots can come here and fly small aircraft without supervision". That on the same morning that I presented myself for a BFR!!!

NZ is a very long way from anywhere else, which is one of many reasons why it is such a glorious destination. But it is, err, unique.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message