Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Query re FAA and CAA aeromedical exams / UK CAA "not allowing" Class 2 during lockdown

I suspect this is the garbage discussed here and your AME is out of date.

I can’t believe there is a fresh ban on medicals, given the relaxation timetable published recently.

Yes; you need to register on the new CAA pilot portal, upload a passport scan, upload a copy of your CAA license (yes, not kidding; upload a copy of your CAA license to the CAA ) and then they email you when it has been manually approved, and then you can do other stuff on there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

Advice and opinion sought about a Class 2 renewal. Mine expires very shortly and I have just been informed by my usual AME that it is currently not allowed to be renewed by instructions from our CAA.

PMD may be? Unless you want to fly abroad or excercise full IR, that should help (flying in the UK VFR or IFR under IR(R) should be permitted).
And after the AMEs are open again for PPL holders, you can do your Class 2 renewal – to my knowledge, there is no difference between the Class 2 renewal or revalidation.
It’s pain… I was lucky enough to get my Class 2 revalidated in Dec 2020 just days before the lockdown. But! My SEP Class Rating expires in 2 weeks and I will have to do a full LPC, as I did not have a chance to log any hours in previous 12 months. :(

EGTR

My one year PPL medical expired in December, but it says two years for LAPL, (or its non- EASA equivalent). I intend trying to keep a full medical. I haven’t received an email, and have checked spam.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Good point Maoraigh, how many here have received the email from CAA?

UK, United Kingdom

I received it, January 28.

It is quite possibly the clunkiest web service I have ever seen. One is required to set up a CAA Customer Portal Account as Peter noted above. I had already done this to take advantage of the ABSD rebate scheme. Nevertheless I was required to somehow reactivate this account by submitting a request and am awaiting a response.

I assume this is an attempt to mimc the FAA system under which one logs on and respond to the medical questionnaire prior to the medical exam. However the FAA system does not require multiple rounds of human checking just to establish an account.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Has anyone else heard of this reported ban on UK CAA medicals?

Administrator

Can anyone help me understand the current regs re aeromedical exams.

I am based in the UK, with EASA Class 2 and FAA Class 2 medicals, used for IR flight under both EASA and FAA PPL IR. I fly an N Reg aircraft;

I have an urgent and entirely valid business need to fly to Greece at the end of next week in my aircraft, and have spent weeks making sure and I can get there, get in and make a tech stop for refuelling on the way in Cannes, all legally and safely. I have had my Covid jab.

My FAA class 2 medical expires on March 31st, and my EASA medical expires on April 14th. The website of my newish examiner (Dr Nomy Ahmed in Watford) shows lots of slots available.

However, I called his office today to be told that because of government regulations he is not allowed to conduct any Class 2 aeromedical exams until April 12, neither EASA nor FAA. Seems strange.

Does anyone know:

1) Have FAA medicals been automatically extended like they were last year, and if so what are the rules?
2) Have CAA medicals been extended?
3) Can I legally fly an N reg plane on an EASA/CAA medical in Europe

I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can give me.

This may be relevant, though I don’t actually believe such a directive exists as described. I would call Peter Orton of Aviation Medica, at Stansted Airport.

You need to register your details via the new CAA web portal, to renew a CAA medical. This involves passport etc upload.

Can I legally fly an N reg plane on an EASA/CAA medical in Europe

Only if your FAA license is a 61.3 piggyback one. If it is a standalone US certificate then you need a US medical.

If going IFR, you need an FAA IR and this can be either an FAA standalone one (“US test passed”) or the FAA Foreign Pilot IR.

The extensions, I don’t know, but info would have been posted here. I know both the CAA here and the FAA are reluctant to do extensions now.

Administrator

My FAA PPLIR is standalone.

I have been doing some searching the FAA covid regs and as far as I can tell, they have stopped allowing pilots to use the 3 month medical extension.

I have registered on the CAA portal, and then registered again last week, but it indicates that the ability to register for medicals and upload info is not ready yet, which is strange.

Peter wrote:

I would call Peter Orton of Aviation Medica, at Stansted Airport.

+1 for Peter Orton.

Your new AME quite obviously has no clue. The CAA has no, none, zero jurisdiction over the FAA. While they apparently can prevent AMEs conducting CAA medicals (total idiocy in itself, but hey, it’s the CAA) , they certainly cannot do so in an FAA (or other XAA) context.

Buckerfan wrote:

I have been doing some searching the FAA covid regs and as far as I can tell, they have stopped allowing pilots to use the 3 month medical extension.

AFAIK this is correct.

Sign in to add your message