Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Decommissioning plans for NDB VOR & especially ILS across Europe

https://www.systemsinterface.com/news/phase-1-complete-of-hial-ndb-replacement-programme/

It would appear HIAL are moving to NDB’s as back up for GPS with the loss of VOR’s

arj1 wrote:

I think they all CAN do the GLS, if they install the extra hardware module for the GBAS support…

How many airports have GBAS? I’ve never heard of any. How is it shown on an IAP?

LSZK, Switzerland

Few have got now, see below. Some of those are supposed to transform into CAT II/III in the future (CAT I at the moment).
According to the link below 787 has got this as standard.
https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/GBAS_Landing_System_(GLS)

Bremen (EDDW)
Malaga (LEMG)
Frankfurt (EDDF)
Zurich (LSZH)
Newark (KEWR)
Houston’s George Bush (KIAH)
Moses Lake (KMWH)
Charleston (KCHS)
Sydney (YSSY)
Chennai (VOMM)
Saint Helena (FHSH)

EGTR

chflyer wrote:

How is it shown on an IAP?

This is the RWY 07L GLS for EDDF. I wonder what the point is as it has exactly the same minima as the CAT I ILS to the same runway. Trial? (There is also a RWY 25R GLS with the same minima as the CAT I ILS to that runway.)

ED_AD_2_EDDF_4_7_13_en_2020_11_05_pdf

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Bathman wrote:

It would appear HIAL are moving to NDB’s as back up for GPS with the loss of VOR’s

I can’t help this feels lika a step backwards.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

This is the RWY 07L GLS for EDDF. I wonder what the point is as it has exactly the same minima as the CAT I ILS to the same runway. Trial? (There is also a RWY 25R GLS with the same minima as the CAT I ILS to that runway.)

ED_AD_2_EDDF_4_7_13_en_2020_11_05_pdf

I think the points are:
- trial (or trial in prep for CAT II/III implementation),
- backup for an ILS outage.

EGTR

Well, as in “the emperor has no clothes”, you need a navaid of some sort to call the airport “IFR” and thus make it legally ok (in the UK) for AOC passenger ops, so what is the cheapest navaid? it must be an NDB. It’s just a LW transmitter – actually two of them – and a UPS or two, in a cabinet. The service contract is likely to be in 4 digits a year.

And you actually fly with a GPS anyway; the ops manual will require the NDB to (a) be idented and (b) not be notamed INOP (that’s the standard for airline ops).

These commercial airports make a LOT of money; look at the millions made at Land’s End and the Scilly Isles; enough to fill them up with yellow jacketed staff (employing 73.5% of the local population within a 100nm radius) and make them practically push GA out, limiting it it barely suitable grass. At Gloucester EGBJ, one commuter turboprop a day made more money than all day’s GA, according to the one-time manager.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

So what would you suggest?

arj1 wrote:

Few have got now, see below. Some of those are supposed to transform into CAT II/III in the future (CAT I at the moment).
According to the link below 787 has got this as standard.
https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/GBAS_Landing_System_(GLS)

Bremen (EDDW)
Malaga (LEMG)
Frankfurt (EDDF)
Zurich (LSZH)
Newark (KEWR)
Houston’s George Bush (KIAH)
Moses Lake (KMWH)
Charleston (KCHS)
Sydney (YSSY)
Chennai (VOMM)
Saint Helena (FHSH)

Not KCHS, only two airports in USA have GLS, KIAH and KEWR.

KUZA, United States

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t know. Dependence on super sensitive systems that any person can jam isn’t exactly forward looking.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message