Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Canary Islands VFR coast of Morocco (not entering land)?

My flight plan will be Spain → Spain… will Moroccan Operations Office validate it?

No idea but Tower ATC (Spanish or Moroccan) tend to tell lot of bullshit when it comes to accepted routes and levels, as they don’t bother asking en-route ATC/FIS on your behalf

From ATC airfields, you always have to file something that validates (aka allows you to takeoff), then you can negotiate shortcut or level

From LETJ, you won’t have much of this, you can file via Lisboa FIR initially, depart at your discretion then direct staying out of Casablanca CTA? on return leg, you may need to double check with Lanzarote tower, I am afraid only them know the answer

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Mar 21:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

VFR or IFR, controlled or not, flight plan route will be mannually validated

IFR flight plan is not manually validated, it’s validated by Eurocontrol.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes IFR plans in Morocco/Spain are validated Eurocontrol, only VFR ones from ATC airfields gets checked…VFR/IFR Zulu from LETJ will have manual portion that gets sent to ATC, likely no one cares as it’s uncontrolled airfield

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 19:43

OK, but my point is… if I file a VFR plan from LETJ to GCRR. Spain to Spain… but flying through Morocco airspace over the water heading S-SW, but not through Morocco mainland (also out of the 12 miles national waters). When I get into Morroco airspace in this flight, can they request me to go inland to follow their VFR reporting points hence making my flight longer than planned?

LEMT, Spain

icordoba wrote:

When I get into Morroco airspace in this flight, can they request me to go inland to follow their VFR reporting points hence making my flight longer than planned?

Yes they can. It doesn’t matter what your destination is, it’s important which airspace you’re flying through. It’s the same for me when I fly from north of Croatia to Croatian coast over Bosnia.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@icordoba, I’m sure you have your reasons for trying to avoid Morocco, but having flown there VFR several times while I lived in Spain, I can tell you it’s dead easy. Only downside of course is that leaving mainland Spain you need to depart from a port of entry, in the south that’ll be LEMG, LEJR, LEZL and LEGR.

Flying LETJ to GCRR shortest route is some 600 NM. How much flying along Moroccan coast adds – 50 NM? And VFR route adds how much more – 50 NM? So it’s 45 min in Cirrus. Comparing flying over large body of water with flying above land in SEP at price of 45 min for me wouldn’t be hard question.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi Emir,
yes, I agree you with your estimations; in fact I never considered flying the direct route (that is basically the IFR airway), as you point out, it’s too much water which is of no need. My options are going near the coast line (so I am in gliding distance to pull the chute very close to the coast) or flying mainland Morocco through the VFR reporting points. Both routes can be done in a single leg with the SR22 and going inland adds less than 30 mins… looks like I will finally opt for full mainland VFR route, which will be about 4:20 hours from LETJ.

LEMT, Spain

As we’ve been to the Canary Islands several times in SEP I’ll add my view too: We did long over water crossings twice, once because we saw it as training for our first Atlantic crossing and once because Morocco was closed due to covid. Otherwise we flew via Morocco especially on our first trip down there and next time we’ll fly that route again. I would spend a night in Agadir on the way down and one in Essaouira on the way home, or the other way round. Both places are easy and friendly towards GA. Essaouira is also a very nice and interesting town to visit. Agadir not so much, but at least there are many good hotels and restaurants.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I guess the problem is not landing in Morocco? places like Essaouira & Agadir are very hassle free for GA (one need to stay away from Casablanca & Marrakesh), the problem is having to use an AENA airport on departure like Jerez where one needs to debate 150€-200€ for the privilege of going extra-Schengen

4h over water and 4h:20 over mainland is no brainer, the only advantage of going over water is avoiding terrain & weather with smooth ride

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Mar 14:49
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message