Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Europe with old radio (no 136+ Mhz)

Hi,

i have an old radios with freq. range ending at 135,975
i plan to flight which will take place in FIRs with 136+ frequency (in example Prague)
is that a problemor will i be transferred to some reserve frequency ?

Thanks
Oleksii

Advisor
UKKK

The deadline for the 136-137 MHz band passed something like 15 years ago if not more. Now you also need the 8.33 kHz channel spacing. With your radio, the most significant risk you run is being denied entry into controlled airspace. Also, while you may get around your issue with the regional FIS, don’t expect any concessions from the individual airfields – if they can’t hear you, they can’t hear you. Some countries may even impose a penalty for non-compliance. If it’s a one-time flight (e.g. ferrying an old aicraft), I recommend to coordinate it with the ATC in advance and indicate this in your flight plan. I’d say the best you can do in this situation is buy a modern handheld radio supporting the 8.33 channel spacing – the price will be a small fraction of the cost of your flight. Ideally, you should also connect it to your fuselage antenna instead of the built-in one – this will give you a much better range.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 19 Jun 09:39
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

something like 15 years ago if not more.

As already written, VFR that flight might, with some pre-planning, be possible. But IFR? No way. Two private pilots I know recently tried to fly from Prague to Germany IFR without 8,33 capability. In the end they had to use 121,5 to cancel IFR and proceed visually. They are still waiting for a nasty letter from either the Czech or the German authority…

Last Edited by what_next at 19 Jun 09:54
EDDS - Stuttgart

Advisor wrote:

i plan to flight which will take place in FIRs with 136+ frequency (in example Prague)
is that a problemor will i be transferred to some reserve frequency ?

I encountered the same problem when flying to Rakovnik last year, only that in my case I only realized the problem once airborne and given the new frequency for Prague Information. I did not get any reserve frequency for that sector, but I got the frequency for the one after the problematic one and an approximate location to contact them. I also inquired about any restricted areas / NOTAMs etc along my route for the problematic section and received a confirmation that there were none. Since it’s uncontrolled airspace and I was flying VFR, I flew NORDO for some time (not too much, because in practice I could hear the next sector much earlier than anticipated) and otherwise it was a non-issue. So, IMO, for a one-off VFR flight it should be OK to fly with such a radio, but I would not repeat it too frequently.
Please also note that some airports already use 8.33 frequencies (like 120.335 MHz for LKLT Letňany in Prague), so a new radio would really be due.

Ultranomad wrote:

The deadline for the 136-137 MHz band passed something like 15 years ago if not more.

Probably, but there are quite a few 720 channel radios in Hungary, mostly in Zlins. They are going to be replaced soon, mine already has a new TY-91.

Last Edited by JnsV at 19 Jun 09:58
Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Thank you all, espesially JnsV cause one of my flight points was LKLK

will report when try :)

Advisor
UKKK

Notwithstanding the failure in frequency management that led to close channel spacing and 2280 aircraft communication channels in Europe, is it actually true that you were required to change from 720 channel to a 760 channel radio many ago, as opposed to avoiding the few stations that use frequencies above the range of a 720 channel radio? Spacing for a 760 channel radio is no different than a 720 channel radio.

Operating in the US, my comm radio is a 720 channel radio modified to 760 channels, but I have a 720 channel spare that I’d stick in the slot if number one broke. I don’t believe I’ve ever needed to use a channel above the 720 channel band, so it would make no difference either way.

Silvaire wrote:

… in Europe, is it actually true that you were required to change from 720 channel to a 760 channel radio many ago, as opposed to avoiding the few stations that use frequencies above the range of a 720 channel radio?

The extension to 760 channels came about 1990 in Europe. Initially – which means for almost a decade! – only radar frequencies in the upper airspace (which starts at FL245 here) were assigned to these new frequencies. So as long as you flew VFR only or IFR not above FL240 you could happily use your old radio. But in 1996 or 1997 (too long ago to remember) 760 channels became mandatory for all IFR flying. Since then, more and more stations use those upper 40 channels.

For VFR flying in many parts of Europe a radio is not required at all. So it doesn’t matter how many channels the installed one has, as long as you don’t fly to an airfield that does not accept NORDO aircraft and uses frequencies above 135MHz.

EDDS - Stuttgart

So for VFR in Europe, 720 channels is no different legally than 760 channels and the only operating consideration is to avoid frequencies above the range of the 720 range – I think that’s the bottom line that the OP was looking for.

My 1988 radios work fine in the US and there is no reason to consider replacement. That’s a rational situation under rational regulation.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Jun 15:15

Silvaire wrote:

So for VFR in Europe, 720 channels is no different legally than 760 channels and the only operating consideration is to avoid frequencies above the range of the 720 range – I think that’s the bottom line that the OP was looking for.

I can’t talk for all of Europe, but in Germany you could fly with a 720 channel radio. In countries which require you to contact a FIS frequency for border crossing or position reports along a flight planned route – and he will certainly require a flight plan for an international VFR flight into the Czech Republic – that might be different. As we have learnt from other threads, Czech Republic has now assigned lots and lots of 8,33 frequencies also.

EDDS - Stuttgart
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message