Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Eurocontrol IFR with a lost flight plan

I got this 2 days ago. LDLO-LFMT. It became apparent that Italy didn’t know anything about me (“are you IFR?”) although the French apparently managed to construct a FP by the time I got there.

The AR also shows no tracking data, although this may be unrelated because it also shows no tracking data for the next flight LFMT-EGKA so maybe AR broke at the same time.

This has happened to me before.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would question the means by which you file your flightplans.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

AR – same as you and most others

The Croatians had it OK. Pula had it. Italy apparently didn’t. The distribution is done via Eurocontrol.

Could it be that Pula (LDLO was unmanned) forgot to open the flight plan (issue a DEP message)?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Could it be that Pula (LDLO was unmanned) forgot to open the flight plan (issue a DEP message)?

I don’t know the exact flow but I somehow doubt it – you got the squawk, they told you when your IFR started… I know that sometimes ATC doesn’t have flight plans in one system and they have to dig somewhere to find it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

According to my personal experience Typically only the country of departure and that of arrival has the flight plan. Those in between have to look in the right tools to see it.

Germany

AFAIK ATC see your filed route in so far as it passes through their sector. They can also see the whole FP “at the press of a button”, minus the stuff at the bottom (life raft colour etc).

@airways @caba @Naaalex and others will know.

Administrator

@Peter practically any time I fly from Germany to Spain they are clueless in France about my flight. That is particularly interesting in case we make an unscheduled stop in France, that happens every now and then depending on our in-air democratic decision processes

I then have to phone to the AIC of the country of destination to close the flightplan, as in France they tell me that they don’t have the plan, so they have nothing to close.

By the way: last time I heard the british “pass your message” in France!

Germany

But your flights are VFR. In that case, it heavily depends on how the ATC IT infrastructure works and how controller workstations are set up. This simply varies across Europe. As you know, German FISOs used to have no access to VFR flight plans for decades until this all changed about two years ago.

Peter‘s flight was IFR, so it is indeed strange that all Italian controllers along the way did not have it. Honestly, I don‘t really believe it.

„Pass your message“ has become a regularly used phrase in France quite a few years ago.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Aug 16:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Honestly, I don‘t really believe it.

• no tracking in AR
  • ATC asking me, more than once, if I was IFR (would have been a whole load of fun busting CAS across Italy, VFR)
  • ATC asking me about my route, more than once
Administrator

@Peter

You can apply for CFMU and access on your laptop and interrogate everything revolving around your flight. Including DEP messages and any ATC interaction as well as live POS reports on the system.

Let me know and I’ll come Shoreham and help you apply for the token(s).

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message