Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight plan cancellation by other than the pilot

FWIW Wikipedia:

Formation flying is the disciplined flight of two or more aircraft under the command of a flight leader.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 30 Jul 12:08
LFPT, LFPN

172driver wrote:

What isn’t all that clear to me is the definition of ‘formation’. Anyone ?

I don’t have the exact definition, but what’s important from an ATC perspective is that the aircraft are sufficiently close together to be treated as a single flight by ATC and that the the pilots do their own separation within the formation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Own separation and only one plane does the radio.

Oh and don’t forget – only one transponder too, otherwise all manner of crash alarms will ring ^^

About 20 years ago I was flying in a Piper Archer with another Archer in a loose formation from Austria to Budapest per their request. One did the radio and we stayed close together but not like a military formation. It wasn’t anything special or complicated at all.

Frequent travels around Europe

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t have the exact definition, but what’s important from an ATC perspective is that the aircraft are sufficiently close together to be treated as a single flight by ATC and that the the pilots do their own se

Thanks, that’s pretty much what I thought and also what we did on the two or three occasions I’ve used that for a single FP. Certainly not a military-style formation.

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message