Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First Mayday For A While

No, we can land at MTOW if circumstances require. However, we will always jettison fuel and get below MLW unless a greater emergency exists (e.g. fire, double hydraulic failure, passenger sickness).

Then why do you jettison fuel in these cases? Just in order to avoid costly maintenance/repair action? I am astounded this is still allowed, in our eco-manic society nowadays…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If nothing else you can run the risk of a brake fire landing heavily loaded I would expect.

EGTK Oxford

What a day!

Was it a 777 or a 747?

Then why do you jettison fuel in these cases? Just in order to avoid costly maintenance/repair action?

No maintenance action was necessary. There might have been if I’d run off the end, though.

Was it a 777 or a 747?

A340.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Interesting, thanks for sharing. How did the Chinese cooperate via ATC?

Checkin' in smooth

Interesting, thanks for sharing. How did the Chinese cooperate via ATC?

They were fine but their script has a limited number of phrases, so once you depart from the normal airway-type language it takes a few goes to get the message across.

The main two frustrations were having to declare a Mayday so I could dump fuel without permission and the fact that no-one met us at the stand once we’d landed, despite us asking for medical, steps and fire vehicles.

Spending too long online

Thread drift nerding: A340 – may favorite airliner! Spent many hours flying on them both with Lufthansa and Virgin between LAX and Europe as a passenger. Such a beauty the 500/600 model with the big nacelles. Now that they stopped making them, I will miss them when they go away.

More nerding……if it was an A340-200 wouldn’t top of climb be half way home?

Oxford and Bidford

More nerding……if it was an A340-200 wouldn’t top of climb be half way home?

Ha ha! A340-600 – big engines!

An A340-200 MTOW is something like 260 tonnes.

Spending too long online
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message