Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Firewall sound insulation Socata / etc (merged)

You’re really nice looking Peter.
We are happy to see that the cold you got on the airliner is now a thing of the past

I just had to make sure that exceptional photoshop skills would be required to create a fake passport

Just realised that mask still has the protective film stuck to the front…

Properly attached, there is not even a sniff of the glue. But, still, to minimise the risk, we used the more toxic (and probably a lot stronger) AF-178 glue for the firewall foam, and the Scotch glue for the (different type of) foam used in the rear airframe cavity where one is really working in a confined space.

The firewall foam is easier to do when the engine is out. You don’t get such easy access with the engine in place

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just tried setting that SX-500 firewall foam on fire. Impossible. Get it bright red hot with a blowlamp, a little flame appears and goes out in a few seconds.

Administrator

I still have the cardboard templates. I am not likely to need them again and I am happy to donate them anywhere for the cost of the postage.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I still have the cardboard templates. I am not likely to need them again and I am happy to donate them anywhere for the cost of the postage.

Did the new insulation help?

EGTK Oxford

The old Socata stuff more or less fell off, so “help” is a relative term

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But I also have for sale a complete roll of this stuff

PM me thickness, qty & price please

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

Firewall foam done. SX-500 firewall certified foam and the AF-178 glue.

Peter, this really looks good. Did this reduce inside cabin noise somewhat?

United States

I don’t think one could tell without doing measurements. There is probably a placebo effect, like with $500 audio interconnects

But as I said earlier the old foam was just falling off. Even the replacement stuff which I bought from Socata a few years ago was already falling off. It’s basically rubbish. It is falling off on every TB I have ever seen under the cowling. Even the foam in the rear hull section, which doesn’t see any airflow, was disintegrating.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I am currently replacing the crappy Socata stuff, if you still have them.

EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message