Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA bans visual approaches by non US airlines to some runways

I have just seen this in UK's FTN - a rag published for the flight training business.

This apparently follows the Asiana Airlines "short" landing of a 777 at San Francisco. The concern seems to be that many of the pilots have not been trained to fly the plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The concern seems to be that many of the pilots have not been trained to fly the plane.

This is realy bad situation - they act like system managers rather than pilots.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I'd be quite happy to be banned from visual approaches in the States. They're always pestering us to report visual with the field so they can clear us for a visual approach and reduce separation minima.

Needless to say the ILS is usually on, except at SFO...

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

But, don't you save a "ton" of fuel by flying straight in or downwind / left base, over say a 6 mile ILS intercept?

Presumably a continuous descent approach and a straight in landing is the best of all but maybe not always possible?

Administrator

I remember one day when we approached KJFK from the north in a 707 - daylight VMC - the airport 25NM ahead of us. Passing through 11000ft the controller said " You are cleared for the option - choose any runway you like - Tower clears you to land "

That was a great visual approach. No traffic at all, which was a very rare occasion in 1978.

EDxx, Germany

The ban at SFO has been around since late July. In the mean time the ILS is back up for the left runway.

KUZA, United States

You are cleared for the option - choose any runway you like - Tower clears you to land

A friend of mine flies 737s for a living. They entered Dutch airspace a while ago very late at night, somewhere near Arnhem. The clearance they received was something along the lines of:

"Proceed direct ARTIP, cleared for the ARTIP 3B transition, cleared for the ILS 18R approach, cleared to land 18R, taxi V, cross the center at W5, proceed D, A then A13 for gate D7, remain this frequency throughout, good night."

That was more than 20 minutes worth of flying, and 10 minutes worth of taxiing. Needless to say it wasn't pretty busy at that time...

I heard a Ryanair ask for the reciprocal runway at Limoges this summer, he was refused because they were "gliding" alongside the main runway. Nice to see local traffic takes presidence, or is it steam giving way to sail!

Did he declare an emergency afterwards?

Top marks to ATC!

Administrator

After 28minutes holding for departure the other day at Aberdeen due to a continuous stream of arriving and departing helicopters and jets I was finally cleared to lineup....the Dutch airline who had been holding for around 10 mins was clearly annoyed that they cleared a Mooney ahead of a 737....and stated that he was "running low on fuel"... The controller ignored him....

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message