Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eye surgery

MedEwok wrote:

In your case there wasn’t as far as I understood.

For distance:
+1.25 and +0.75 cylinder on right eye
0 on left eye

In addition, I need correction for reading +1.50 on both eyes. Lenses clear.

In opinion of any doctor I talked to (ophthalmologists and AMEs included) except the owner of surgery clinic, the surgery is out of question and glasses are the best choice.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Why is it sensible to private?

Everything happens faster. Unlike some other countries in Europe, the UK doesn’t have a strong culture of paying heavily for health insurance via deductions at source, so the NHS tends to get overwhelmed because most people want free treatment. And since 1948 every politician has nailed his goolies to the “free at the point of delivery” mast which supports the “I want it free even if the cost would be trivial” idea. One example is a 3 months’ wait for a consultation on the NHS, versus a few days privately for £200. While few can afford a £30k operation, anybody who gets through a packet of fags a day can afford the £200 and this can make a dramatic difference to outcomes.

due to increased glare sensitivity for one.

That is also a big problem for driving at night.

except the owner of surgery clinic,

To be expected; if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail It is actually a recurring issue in medicine… surgeons tend to be the most powerful people in the profession (only a very confident personality type is going to become a surgeon, not least because you “lose” some % of patients and still have to go home and have dinner with your family) and this supports the idea of surgery being the default option whenever possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message