Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European regs on flying an IAP solo in VMC?

Here in the US, the pilot can be cleared for an ILS in VMC conditions. An autopilot is nice to have, but never required. The pilot is responsible for visually separating themselves from VFR traffic at all times when conditions are VMC. If one is flying in VMC conditions and also flying an ILS, they must divide their attention between the instruments and the outside view. But that is no different when you are enroute. The only time that a safety pilot is required is when the pilot has his view blocked by a hood or equivalent and is flying in simulated IMC.

Edit:

FAR 91.113 states in part:

(b) General. When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft.

KUZA, United States

Legality aside, if I were ATC I would welcome any arriving traffic, whether VFR or IFR, to arrange itself on the ILS, flying a well defined and easily monitored trajectory.

20+ years before I got my IR I was flying back VFR from somewhere in central Germany to Münster Osnabrück in a Cherokee and proudly reported on initial call that I was "established on the localiser for 25 at 10 miles". The reply, in a slightly patronising tone, was that that was all very smart and he was pleased that I was established, but so was the 737 who was at 15 miles, so it might be a good idea if I reported point Sierra like the other VFR traffic! :)

20+ years before I got my IR I was flying back VFR from somewhere in central Germany to Münster Osnabrück in a Cherokee and proudly reported on initial call that I was "established on the localiser for 25 at 10 miles". The reply, in a slightly patronising tone, was that that was all very smart and he was pleased that I was established, but so was the 737 who was at 15 miles, so it might be a good idea if I reported point Sierra like the other VFR traffic! :)

Were you in CAS, and what was your clearance?

I've just looked up the present airspace around Munster EDDG and at 10D on ILS25 you would be in Class D, so I wonder what the controller's instructions had been?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very good. I like it :D

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter, sounds like he wasn't really supposed to be there. Cleared himself into the class D. A good story!

EGTK Oxford

bookworm: That was a good one

if I were ATC I would welcome any arriving traffic, whether VFR or IFR, to arrange itself on the ILS, flying > a well defined and easily monitored trajectory. I have twice requested VFR ILS from my motorglider (testing the SP400 handheld ILS receiver), and got it with no questions asked. VFR pilots get it too.

In general ATC doesn't normally mix IFR and VFR traffic as in clearing VFR and IFR in to the airport via the same routing simultaneously. When IFR flights are present they normally want to keep VFR away from the IFR approach pattern and rather let them fly in via the downwind leg unless they consider that sufficient spacing is possible. Just look at how many airports has VFR reporting point on a very wide downwind for both rwys.

If you are alone or with little traffic, that's of course a different story.

However, I've heard that Danish ATC has a reputation of being among the most GA friendly in Europe so maybe the go an extra mile

I've just looked up the present airspace around Munster EDDG and at 10D on ILS25 you would be in Class D, so I wonder what the controller's instructions had been?

I was outside the class D, which was only a CTR in those days. It might have been 15 miles and 20 miles for all I remember -- stop spoiling a good yarn... ;-)

I was outside the class D, which was only a CTR in those days.

All control zones (CTR) in Germany have always been class D airspace, with VFR traffic routeing via reporting points - at least as long as I fly (35 years).

EDDS - Stuttgart

All control zones (CTR) in Germany have always been class D airspace, with VFR traffic routeing via reporting points - at least as long as I fly (35 years).

The way I understand bookworm's post is that in those days it was only a CTR and since he was 15 miles out he was not in the CTR. This makes perfectly good sense as a CTR normally doesn't stretch longer than 5 to 10 NM either ways from the rwy.

It's a good story. Here's another one:

A freshly examined ATC who got his authorization at Oslo airport is transferred all the way up to Northern Norway to a very small airport where they have one only scheduled arrival pr day. The pilot checks in on the frequency and

• ATC:. XXXX, you are cleared to land XX as number one.
  • Pilot: Who is number to?
  • Silence...... then..
  • ATC: Uhh, that is you tomorrow.

Perhaps on a tangent, but there is nothing illegal in intercepting a LOC for an airport whose procedures are wholly in CAS, while remaining OCAS.

Any traffic can fly anywhere OCAS.

Obviously flying directly towards some busy airport is likely to spook ATC there, but there is nothing wrong (that I can see) with intercepting somebody's localiser say 20nm out, for avionics test purposes, and then breaking off. What you won't get is the GS intercept, as that is in CAS, so you need to be really on the ball.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message