Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European airport webcams

Just thought you might like to know about WEBCAM AERO for iPhone or iPad.

The app has just been launched and features a collection of over 800 European aerodrome Webcams plus closest METAR+TAF

The developper is giving away 50 free apps - contact him via Facebook - :wall: - for a free download code.

You'll need to mention "AEROBUZZ" and indicate your preferred version, iPhone or iPad.

If you can't be bothered with Fesse Book, you can just fork out € 3,99 or whatever it costs in the UK.

No affiliation!

Bordeaux

Thanks for the info - sounds a good idea - though I want to watch my a/c rather than some windsock or clubhouse verandah.

I guess its effectiveness will be down to the airfield putting up adequate webcams.

EuropaBoy
EGBW

The English version will be available in 8 days apparently, speaking to the developer and will be distributing some more codes for the English version also!

I’ve just found this site which has webcams for currently 77 airfields. They are supposed to have been chosen as useful pictures, and quite a lot include the windsock; it also says if the photo is too old. Overlaid is the direction the camera is pointing, the local TAF and METAR, and any hills or mountains along with distances.

This is helpful for me, living (in the hills) 40 minutes away from the airfield (on the plain) which often has the opposite weather.

The cameras are run from a DIY raspberry Pi, and I think it’s a very good idea.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

This sort of thing is very good. The Autorouter telegram bot had a load too but it doesn’t seem to work anymore. You just get this:

Supported commands:
WEBCAM – Show available webcams
WEBCAM <ICAO> – Show webcam for given 4 letter ICAO code
WEBCAM NEAR – Show webcam closest to current position
WEBCAM NEAR – Show webcam closest to given geophraphic location

One has to write code for each webcam site individually, to extract a still image from it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

https://www.foto-webcam.eu/

Some of these are in proximity to airfields and can thus be useful especially in mountainous areas.

Administrator

Great, also Windy has a nice list and finds the closest webcam, did not check around the Alps/mountains

Make sure the picture is dated or things are moving (I lost one day at the gliding club where Luton was hardcore IFR and webcam sun was shinny and gliders out )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Does anyone know of a current app, for android, which does airfield webcams?

The programmer who did the one posted by Jojo died in a plane crash some years ago.

Administrator

Windy does the trick for me…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Windy does show loads of webcams but there are many many more out there, especially around airports. Windy has no focus on airport webcams.

The problem with grabbing webcam images is that each one requires some kind of custom script/hack and somebody has to maintain the code. The Autorouter started supporting various webcams, using the /webcam command, but a lot of them don’t work anymore. So any app which did this and did it well would need to be paid for.

Administrator
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message