Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EPIC LT RA2151G down near Egelsbach

JasonC wrote:

Looks like they were landing Easterly. That is a tight rather unpleasant turn to final over the power lines to land in that direction in a high performance aircraft.

Charted base leg 0.7 NM from the threshold for turboprops. Ouch. Even with a 30° base-to-final turn you will not have more than 0.5 NM of straight final.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Even with a 30° base-to-final turn you will not have more than 0.5 NM of straight final.

…and in the briefing video they bank almost 45°!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, 0.7NM is really tight by all measures unless you are used to fly 500m runways and 600ft circuits, the downwind/base and base/final angles will not look great !

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Apr 11:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Charted base leg 0.7 NM from the threshold for turboprops. Ouch. Even with a 30° base-to-final turn you will not have more than 0.5 NM of straight final.

Try it in a jet….

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Try it in a jet….

I tried something similar in a C172 Saturday: no wind, from 1300ft circuit, less than 1nm to threshold, idle engine, 80kts, 30 degrees full flaps and some side-slip

This is how it looked from the pax seat:

/description

While I did that to put a bit of challenge into a boring flight to my surprise I was surprised I guess those will be the numbers for a vfr approach in a jet? then more from mass inertia that goes with?

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Apr 12:14

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So far the media have not taken note that this is an experimental airplane.

Are we sure that it wasn’t certified? Epic’s press releases suggest that certification was imminent (and had been imminent for years…). I can’t find an FAA STC but this was Russian registered.

What are the regulatory requirements for flying a foreign experimental in Germany?

Last FR24 flight

The GS fluctuations are nonsense (not unusual on FR24) but the altitude means it was obviously IFR in the Eurocontrol system

There are other “experimentals” flying Eurocontrol IFR in Europe. Do a search with a term like
evolution AND IFR. Not large numbers; all are owned by wealthy individuals. They fly below RVSM i.e. FL280 max.

Previous Epic thread.

@GaryandAlice might know about the factory status.

German news article another

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I guess those will be the numbers for a vfr approach in a jet? then more from mass inertia that goes with?

Sorry would what numbers be the same?

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Sorry would what numbers be the same?

The approach speed on light jets: something 80kts-100kts?

Flying that in most SEPs with base leg at 0.7nm to threshold makes very interesting approaches, so I can’t imagine how that look in heavy aircraft…

From here I read EPIC LT had 65kts stall speed, so Va should be roughly 85kts
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/sun-n-fun/2013-04-10/epic-aircraft-plans-certify-epic-lt-turboprop-single-late-2014

Ibra wrote:

The approach speed on light jets: something 80kts-100kts?

No, vref would be 95-110 for mine but that is 1.3Vso. Stick in 45 degrees of bank and see what that does to your stall speed.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message