Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Endangered airports...

Although California specific, this little film sums up pretty much the situation everywhere in the world.

KCET Docu

I also can totally relate to what the gentleman was saying about how 80% of the passengers on airlines just shut the shades on takeoff and landing. It blows my mind every time – it’s so sad that we’ve come so blasé to the magic of flight.

So true the shades story… I feel the same when I fly commercial.

This Hawthorne guy needs to get a medal !

From the video “If they want you to close, they’ll find a way for you to close” → 100% true

LFOU, France

Another kind of endangered airports.

193 european airports are in danger of closing.

What do you think will happen ? Most will get money from the local council, Land, région whatever…

LFOU, France

With the caveat that this is from Oct 2020, I think there is a real concern there. A lot of airports are carrying on despite having lost all or most airliner traffic years ago (pre-CV19), but this crisis may just finish them off. It may trigger a fresh look at their finances (something which probably has not been happening on e.g. the French chamber of commerce funding scene for many years) and then questions may be asked.

I am thinking of places like Aosta…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A lot of airports are carrying on despite having lost all or most airliner traffic years ago (pre-CV19), but this crisis may just finish them off.

A lot of airports have been focussing on the airline and biz jet segment too heftily and actually tried to ban smaller GA by outpricing and handling e.t.c. Well, this now comes to haunt them as they have lost a customer segment who won’t be back unless they welcome them back.

Somehow this reminds me of a story about a small village I once wanted to move to around here. It relied almost completely on one very rich guy for their tax income. Consequently, taxes were low and some people moved there, but were not overly welcomed, because they did not need them. Then from one moment to the next, the big tax provider was gone. Moved off. Within a year, the commune went into receivership and taxes skyrocketed, driving a lot of people away.

This is similar to what many mid sized airports have gone through. The relied on that one Ryan Air per day and did not care in the least about the other customers, even considering banning them or outpricing them, so that between 737’s they could relax and lay back. In practice, they gave themselves up into the hands of that one customer, who then could demand what they wanted and got it, out of fear that they might leave.

I reckon it would be now time for many of those airports to reconsider their position and to reckognize that small aviation DOES make them money, not that much, but still a steady income, not only from landing and passenger fees but also from rent for GA close facilities e.t.c.

Of course there will be a movement by folks who have been waiting for the chance to close these airports and if they stay on their arrogant stance, it may well happen. It would be the time now for AOPA and other organizations to approach them and discuss solutions rather than close valuable infrastructure which, once gone, will be gone for ever.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A lot of airports have been focussing on the airline and biz jet segment too heftily and actually tried to ban smaller GA by outpricing and handling e.t.c. Well, this now comes to haunt them as they have lost a customer segment who won’t be back unless they welcome them back.

Yes that’s true but I think in those cases they will rather go bust than accept GA. Like Southampton, which has a really militant ATC on top of any “policy” issues.

The ones I was thinking of were those which haven’t had regular airline traffic for years, but are still nice to GA. There are lots of them around Europe. Well, not many in the UK.

It would be the time now for AOPA and other organizations to approach them and discuss solutions rather than close valuable infrastructure which, once gone, will be gone for ever.

There are no functioning AOPAs in Europe Well, not at any meaningful political level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That said, most airports are owned (not operated) by a local government, so can they really go bankrupt ?

It takes a political decision to quit paying and close the airport.
And quite sometimes the local business owners ask for an airline connection or a BA-accessible airport. So, if there is no alternative, they might pay for it, and nobody in the airport food chain cares about GA (expect if those business owners use it).

LFOU, France

The problem for many of these airports, is that those that work based on GA alone, operate on a very different model than those that work based on infrequent airline travel.

The airline based ones have lots of admin costs. They have managers responsible for different areas and regulations, and a management team.
Those opreating for GA have 1 or 2 employees who cover everything.

For the airline based airport to decide that they want to make the business work, funded by GA alone, they essentially have to get rid of their overheads. For the managment team making that decision, it means that they have to fire themselves! That’s the last decision they will make!

Of course many airports with infrequent airline operation do manage to welcome GA with open arms. But they can’t survive with GA alone with those overheads. If it’s to be GA alone making the business work, then the overheads need to change.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Jujupilote wrote:

It takes a political decision to quit paying and close the airport.

Yes – and the green vultures are already circling. Airports that don’t have other viable income, e.g. cargo, will most likely close. Some may be spared by strategic interests, be it military or access for a big local industrial customer base, but I fear many will go.

As an aside, to think that the low end of GA, which we are mainly discussing here, can save a regional airport is ludicrous. The landing and parking fees are simply not enough at that level.

Well, there is always an even lower end of GA These fields seem to be holding out fine, if not thriving.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message