Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT / PLB (merged)

t sleeping dogs lie

But are they sleeping? I’ve read of one crew that got a ‘warning’. Is that the worst that will happen, or do people get into serious trouble about it?

You might borrow an ELT. Is 406 MHz mandatory?

Can you rent an ELT? Are they not fixed to the aircraft? I have a PLB already.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The authorities in Holland have increased their checks on GA the last years. They tend to target a few GA airfields on an undisclosed day (mostly weekends) and check incoming and outgoing traffic. My papers have been checked a few times now. Although the chances are slim, you could be checked. An ELT is something that’s on their list.

EHTE, Netherlands

A survival ELT might also be sufficient for your aircraft. I have seen these on retal, but can’t recall where.
A survival ELT does not have a crash sensor (only water sensor as an option), an automatic ELT is strongly recommended and mandatory for some aircraft.

This regulation is applicable for the Netherlands:
Link

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thanks.

Looking at Jesse’s link, a portable one is fine for us. Any idea where I could rent one? Not sure that is possible as the aircraft id needs to e programmed in, but perhaps that’s easy.

Looks like one could be purchased for €1K or so. So they need a mod to be fitted to a c of a aircraft?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

This is an older thread, but a followup question – I was under the impression that a PLB registered to the aeroplane was equal to an ELT? Is that correct?

EKRK, Denmark

The term ELT seems to mean slightly different things to different people. If we’re talking about the Netherlands, then from Jesse’s link:

An ELT may be any of the following:

-Survival ELT (ELT-S):
an ELT which is removable from an aircraft, stowed so as to facilitate its ready use in an emergency, and manually activated by survivors.

Later in that document:

2.3 INTERNATIONAL GENERAL AVIATION – AEROPLANES
1.All aeroplanes (including TMG and MLA) shall be equipped with at least one ELT of any type.
2.All aeroplanes (including TMG and MLA) for which the certificate of airworthiness is first issued after July 1st 2008 shall be equipped with at least one automatic ELT.

My understanding then is that, if your aircraft is registered outside the Netherlands and built before 2008, then a PLB does indeed satisfy the ELT requirement for the Netherlands. Other countries may vary.

Fairoaks, United Kingdom

I don’t believe that a PLB can be counted as an ELT.

I think that an ELT is attached to the aircraft (but may be removable) and autoactivates on an impact. PLB’s are designed to be carried on the person, not attached to an aircraft.

I looked into this before (as we have an ELT) and there were some technical specs that made an ELT and PLB different.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I don’t believe that a PLB can be counted as an ELT

I didn’t think so either but, for the Netherlands at least, my interpretation of their rules (see Jesse’s link) is that it a 406MHz PLB can satisfy the requirement. Obviously, as with anything like this, individuals’ interpretations will vary.

I think that an ELT is attached to the aircraft (but may be removable) and autoactivates on an impact

Not according to the Dutch. That document specifically states “manually activated by survivors”.

Fairoaks, United Kingdom

And refers specifically to a Survival ELT. To quote the regs:

PLBs (personal locator beacons) are no ELT, so they are no alternative, especially not for aeroplanes and helicopters with an ELT mandate. A PLB will not be activated by impact and is not crash-proof. Moreover in the databases of rescue co-ordination centre (RCC) there is no connection between an aircraft with information about the maximum number of occupants and the specifications and registration of the aircraft.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

In one of the more enlightened moments of Australian aviation rule-making, allowed PLBs in lieu of built-in ELTs….this was after successful lobbying from GA groups who pointed out that many times aircraft going down in the outback either turned over or in other ways made the built-in unit useless

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message