Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Drum and pointer altimeters

tomjnx wrote:

Have you ever burned a DVD and were able to read its contents after about a month? I haven’t 8-)

I have burned several DVDs where I could read the contents after 10 years!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

How would you compare the build quality of the G3000?

Seems the same as G1000 to be honest. Touch screens but the buttons that exist in say the M2 implementation are similar to G1000.

EGTK Oxford

The Collins stuff I have seen in Citations (on a flight in a CJ4 most recently) is built like a tank.

I think having “light GA avionics” like a G1000 in a small jet is actually a great feature as it probably saves the owner a fortune. Anything Proline, Primus Apex etc. seems to be very expensive in every aspect. Look at the Eclipse. I think if they would have fitted a simple G500 it would probably appeal to much more buyers than some special bizjet avionics representing a major financial risk…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Bendix/King lost their whole lunch to Garmin and now it’s too late – they’ll never come back. They used to own GA avionics, now they’re like Nokia. Collins ProLine will eventually lose all their business to Garmin too. New jets are sticking G3000 and G5000 units in. Ask any PC-12 owner, jet owner etc what they hate the most and they’ll say Collins. The P180 guy I was talking to said he’d had a $100K+ quote just to install ADS-B from Collins. A database subscription is like $25K/year. Sh*it like that won’t last. And when they realize they’ve lost most of their customer base and start to price competitively, it’s already too late. Game over.

The real tester will happen when Garmin rules it all – then they have a totally captive audience. The temptation to not highway rob their customers is going to be big.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 05 Aug 11:12
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message