Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dropbox and other hosted storage / "cloud storage"

You can get an account with a Nextcloud provider. I think the Nextcloud client for Microsoft Windows https://nextcloud.com/install/#install-clients has good File Explorer integration, and in particular gives you “right-click to get URL”.

Run by a friend (he speaks English even if the commercial website doesn’t; don’t worry the actual “Cloud” interface is in English):

Public lists:

ELLX

I got Jottacloud working. It has a couple of issues

• sync is not reliable across the PC directory (folder), even though it is 100% reliable if you view the folder in a browser tab (Refresh doesn’t help)
  • the option to change the PC folder location doesn’t work; it always puts it in c:\user\USERNAME\jottacloud

The Nextcloud options seems to be the same base price as dropbox, although you get 5GB.

I have a Q: can the root of Onedrive be shared? I don’t see any way to get a share URL for it. Googling suggests that it cannot be done. Probably a good thing.

Sounds like Google Drive with its free 15GB is the best option, if you aren’t bothered about having a decent PC sync. But a Synology client for it can be mapped as a network drive to any PC on the LAN, using a UNC path.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
92 Posts
Sign in to add your message