Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you often see other aircraft in the air?

I once passed over Luxemburg at FL100 in my Mooney 20C. Underneath a solid cloud layer at around FL85 when suddenly a Boeing 747 popped out from that layer and levelled off at FL 90 direct in front of me 1000ft below. That was a vision I never forgot (was in 1986). I wish I had an onboard camera that day ...

EDxx, Germany

Lat/Lon is not a required parameter of an EHS installation.

Sure, but one would think that the GPS data stream connection would be the simplest one to do...

Maybe not.

A B747 at 1000ft is huge They look so big that UK ATC tend to warn GA (me) that there will be "traffic" 1000ft above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure, but one would think that the GPS data stream connection would be the simplest one to do...

Technically yes, paperwork wise no.

I've been trying to find out what would be required paperwork wise to legally connect those two wires from the GPS to the transponder, without success so far.

< sarcasm > your safety is our mission < / sarcasm >

LSZK, Switzerland

I've been trying to find out what would be required paperwork wise to legally connect those two wires from the GPS to the transponder, without success so far.

I have that connection between my GNS430W and my Funkwerk TRT800A transponder. Legally, we took a very simple approach. The installation manual of the transponder contains instructions how to make that connection. The transponder with its approved installation manual is STC'ed for my aircraft and therefore this connection is covered by the STC.

Googling for other random documents on some Eurocontrol site that might suggest otherwise in an ambiguous wording is not something I am interested in. The feature works and was implemented according to the manufacturer's installation instructions so I'm good.

Voilà, it's that easy.

Achim, do you know what NACp value your setup transmits? 0 or >= 7?

That route requires a halfway sane installation manual. The Becker manual only lists FreeFlight 2101 and NexNav miniGNSS as certified receivers, and GNS430/530 as non-certified receivers (!). It also lists GPS receivers with RS232C, NMEA0183 delivering GGA and VTG. So it looks like I'm not supposed to connect the certified panel GPS, but should go shopping for a cheap NMEA GPS 8-)

LSZK, Switzerland

Tom, I don't think that my transponder sets the certified bit, even though the data is from the certified GNS430. This only means that TCAS will ignore the lat/lon and use its standard triangulation which is fine with me... Setting this up was a weird experience, it required using the AVIATION OUT protocol on the GNS430W and the KLN94 protocol on the transponder.

Sadly there is nobody left at Funkwerk/Filser that has a deeper understanding of the transponder.

The drawback of ADS-B out is that one's wife can use flightradar24 to find out where the mistress lives...

it required using the AVIATION OUT protocol on the GNS430W and the KLN94 protocol on the transponder.

A pity that I cannot get the KLN94 to talk to the GTX330 at all... despite the connection in the IM. Both companies washed their hands of it. I would quite like to radiate the lat/long if Flarm receivers can see it. Not that I actually think anybody in the UK uses Flarm, outside the gliding community...

The drawback of ADS-B out is that one's wife can use flightradar24 to find out where the mistress lives...

I have already blown that one, by installing a tracking app on my phone. Justine can track me by clicking a button on a website. Each click costs €0.40 however, but I pay for it

But you have an interesting POV on this, Achim. The location of your mistress is apparently more valuable than the fact that you have one

BTW I am very reliably advised by a chap with one of those ADS-B tracking boxes that he can track me flying across Europe. What seems to be happening is that these boxes are linked up over the internet (like the sferics boxes are) and they triangulate.

Administrator

They look so big that UK ATC tend to warn GA (me) that there will be "traffic" 1000ft above.

Got exactly that this morning while flying back from Lille. We were at FL070 waiting for further descent. ATC told us that there would be a A320 departed from Rotterdam, approaching us from the left. "It will stay below you." We spotted the aircraft as it passed below us at FL050. ATC requested if we got the traffic in sight. As soon as the A320 was ahead of us, we got descent instructions and the A320 got a climb clearance. I'm pretty sure that if ATC did not tell us we probably would not have spotted it.

BTW I am very reliably advised by a chap with one of those ADS-B tracking boxes that he can track me flying across Europe.

There is a website which shows all traffic around Schiphol. It is a public initiative of residents living around the airport, so they can complain about noisy aircraft.

It does shows my flight from this morning. I don't have ADS-B GPS output, so they indeed must do some kind of triangulating to determinate the position. It seems to be very accurate!

There are airfields, non radar equipped obviously, which have one of these boxes "around".

They find it, ahem, most helpful.

A lot better than VDF.

Presumably it goes into a drawer very quickly when the CAA come to inspect.

I wonder if it sees Mode C also. There is no 24 bit ID or tail number then, so they can't label it fully.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message