Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Damyns Hall EGML / Hornchurch

The overhad join debate will pop up again and again.
Damyns hall use it, Stapleford use it anf many GA only airfields still prefer it.I actually quite like it too but that’s as said, another debate.
The inbound track on that diagram IMHO should be close to the landing threshold otherwise you’re not overhead.
Anyhoo you’re under 2500ft TMA so I’d be just careful to avoid the Class D, and go with pooleys information at 1400ft overhead.

I’d be shocked if anyone would have an issue if you were at 1500ft anyway.
Enjoy.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do they really force overhead joins at Damyns Hall? Maybe it is the last remaining outpost of some WW1 RAF regiment but, from memory, I haven’t flown an OHJ in about 15 years.

They aren’t that rare – Barton was using them last time I visited (this summer), Gloucestershire sometimes use them (as an example of a full ATC airfield that uses them).

Andreas IOM

Thanks for all the info, it’s clear, I’ll use the overhead join at Damyns Hall (since this is requested on the website of the airfield).
I’ll post a short review after the trip!

Last Edited by jvdo at 15 Nov 17:47
EBMO, EBKT

More relevantly perhaps the website says you need PPR, so phone them beforehand to avoid some “little hitler” causing you trouble – rare but can happen.

The website says an OHJ is at 1400ft but it doesn’t say you have to fly an OHJ.

So, if it was me, I would fly there and firmly report your position and say you will be joining left base / right base / straight in, and have the OHJ planned if you get a firm NO. Actually they aren’t ATC anyway… it is just “Radio” i.e. no power whatsoever over how you join.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

More relevantly perhaps the website says you need PPR, so phone them beforehand to avoid some “little hitler” causing you trouble – rare but can happen.

I used the PPR form on the website, I received this as response:

“Thank you for your PPR request.
If there are any problems we will contact you.

Kind regards

The Damyns Hall Aerodrome Team

But you are right, maybe it’s better to call to make sure.

Last Edited by jvdo at 15 Nov 20:12
EBMO, EBKT

No, you are good to go.

Well, a call is not a bad idea in case they are shut (a crash, etc) and that applies everywhere.

Administrator

GA_Pete wrote:

The overhad join debate will pop up again and again.

Maybe some small airfields keep OHJ to make sure they have some airspace around and make use of it, once you start having downwind joins you no longer need that 1000ft above

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

IMHO, the OHJ provides improved self separation possibilities when at uncontrolled but busy airfields.
How many aircraft can be joining downwind in a suitability sized circuit?
If you are providing self separation, 1 is rolling for circuits two are on a version of downwind where is safe to join? Where do you go if you choose not to barge in? If you extend downwind what does that do to the guy in the Bonanza or cirrus behind?
If everyone is joining overhead, there is plenty of room to add or subtract flight path, to achieve spacing with little effect on the actual circuit size.

As I said, I don’t know who’s right, but everyone has an opinion.

United Kingdom

Quick update on the trip: I departed EBMO to Calais saturday morning but I had to divert to Le Touquet due to IFR conditions at Calais (300ft broken, 1km vis). It was really bad luck, Le Touquet, Oostend, Koksijde, Lydd, all CAVOK! Only a 10km radius (inland only) around Calais had clouds. Because of the diversion my GAR was not longer correct (new departure airfield + I would arrive about 1h30 late). A new GAR would mean 4h waiting time before the departure. Since the weather at EGML was also not great (1000ft ceiling) and I was not 100% sure about the consequences of arriving at EGML with another departure airfield on the GAR (and 1h30 late), I decided to cancel the trip. Any tips on handling GAR forms in case of diversions?

Last Edited by jvdo at 19 Nov 20:17
EBMO, EBKT

I always ignore this issue. All that the UK police are interested in is that the form has been filed and, in case you are delayed, they see the flight plans anyway. Also your filed destination gets an AFTN message about your diversion, so they see that. You can divert to anywhere; it is your prerogative as the “captain”

Administrator
Sign in to add your message