Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 G-RGSK 26/3/2024 Duxford EGSU (and go-around discussion)

@rami1988 it does have one. It only activates above 200ft.

Cirrus already does a lot to support pilots. I bought a 15 year old Cirrus and still, they offered me 3 days of training with a Cirrus instructor and full access to tens of hours to their video instruction platform.

EGSU, United Kingdom

I think it may be due to the side stick and the way it gives feedback on an un trimmed airplane that is accelerating fastly. The short travel of the stick may be either complex to conteract or even recognize, especially if you don’t expect it, and could also demands some high force to push on a stick while going around – which is not natural.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 27 Mar 20:42
LFMD, France

Agreed they do. And the cirrus forum is really great (I’m actually a member as I was considering buying one!). Just this particular sort of accident probably needs more work especially for inexperienced pilots on such a powerful machine.

Separately, im sorry this happened in your airfield to a pilot you know. Really sad.

EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I would bet that getting certification for an autopilot which flies “officially” below 200ft would be awfully tricky. Even airliners use a radalt below about 150ft (CAT3); not a barometric altimeter.

This is what I hate about aviation….. in car terms, just imagine electronic stability is inhibited if (eg) the outside temperature isn’t warm enough….

EDL*, Germany

Simon has been named. He leaves three children and wife. Rest in peace, Simon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjex992z0wlo

Last Edited by Fernando at 27 Mar 22:08
EGSU, United Kingdom

Tragic. What will be interesting is to know if he got formal training in his new Cirrus. According to a podcast I listen to, Aviation News Talk, by Max Trescott, the accident rate for new pilots in Cirrus aircraft who do not go through the Cirrus training is much higher. I sincerely hope we can at least learn something from this crash.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
Unfortunately, although a new aircraft, it once more demonstrated a potential weakness within Garmin’s ESP
this machine had a yaw damper. Why didn’t it kick in?

excuse my ignorance but why a basic flight manoeuvre in a SEP in VMC would requires any electronics, autopilots, servos, switches?
terrible tragedy.

Poland

Go around after bounce is a bit of a peer pressured focus with Cirrus due to emphasis of avoiding a prop strike. Prop strikes aren’t lethal. A botched go around taking off into coffin corner is.

always learning
LO__, Austria

What will be interesting is to know if he got formal training in his new Cirrus.

I’d be more interested if, should it have become apparent during initial training that there are some issues, the instructor insisted on more training or a mentor pilot for the owner.

Was this an experienced pilot or a fresh PPL who bought a new Cirrus?

always learning
LO__, Austria

He leaves three children and wife

That’s bloody awful.

this machine had a yaw damper. Why didn’t it kick in?

YD has only a little authority, because a) lots is not needed b) this limits problems in case of a YD servo etc failure c) a OEI situation in a twin is handled by the pilot adjusting the rudder trim.

Go around after bounce is a bit of a peer pressured focus with Cirrus due to emphasis of avoiding a prop strike

It is taught in the PPL everywhere; I got it too. Anything “not right” → full power and go around.

The SR22 doesn’t have that much power. It is not a Spitfire (which will just flip over if you go to max power). It is certified, so at/above Vs the rudder+aileron authority is supposed to be adequate. OK; there are tradeoffs (more control authority → more drag → fewer sales) and I would expect an SR22 to be closer to the edge than some other types like say a TB20, but if you get too slow when exiting the ground effect, plus not use enough rudder, it won’t work.

Was this an experienced pilot or a fresh PPL who bought a new Cirrus?

Anybody can buy a TBM and fly it away… In this case you needed only a PPL and a bit of time with an FI or CRI in say a PA28R.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message