Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crash on the Moon (Special Landing Operation)

This is something different:

Luna-25

The crater is about 10m diameter so it was doing a lot more than 150kt TAS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think you are ill informed. It successfully landed on the moon. In 15.000 pieces. It’s called a “special landing operation”. The thread title should be changed.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 06 Sep 08:16
always learning
LO__, Austria

Done

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In more than one way I am not too unhappy about the idea that mankind is finally picking up where they left off after Apollo 17.

That there will be holes in the ground on the way is obvious. Never the less, it does not hurt to reflect on the huge technical effort made in the Space Race and the very fact that many of today’s “normal” applications stem from this time.

I’ve had the great fortune to meet some of the people of this time, most memorable to me as the one I knew best a Grumman engineer who worked on the LEM’s and who also was involved in the back room crew of Mission Control during most missions including 13.

When you talk to Astronauts who had the fortune to work with their Russian counterparts, most of them could not be more full of praise of their colleagues and what they have achieved. While clearly a political tool at the time, those guys in Star City did as good a job as many others and excelled in instances, not least by keeping mankind in Space during the time when Americans dumped the Shuttle and before SpaceX came back with a manned module. Those Soyuz capsules are the “Volkswagens” of the Space age, to this day.

Be the political mess as it is, I am hopeful that on the level of science people may still work together, as they do, every day, on the ISS and other projects. Maybe the name of the ISS’s predecessor “Mir” was something to go by how these people operated and to an extent still do. Star City is a long way from Moscow and always has been.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message