Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Two fatal crashes in France today F-GIKZ and F-GSBS

BBC article

Tours. No more information that I’ve found.

LFMD, France

And people keep flying uncontrolled IFR telling themselves lies about how big the sky is…

I presume this was VFR yet it still happened.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

And people keep flying uncontrolled IFR telling themselves lies about how big the sky is…

I presume this was VFR yet it still happened.

I don’t really get this point. I understand that there hasn’t been a midair in the uk in imc for decades (I seem to recall the last one wasn’t that much after the war)

You’re more likely to have a mid air VFR than flying in IMC

“And people keep flying uncontrolled IFR telling themselves lies about how big the sky is…”

I don’t know what is your reasoning but honestly I prefer to fly in sunshine above clouds, in clouds, in other traffic and in terrain in that order

I climb above MSA, away from traffic, in clouds if I have to or better above clouds in sunshine, I really don’t see how it works otherwise?

I know some flyer have big preference to scud run under cloud base as it avoids hitting traffic in IMC? The logic just does not make sense in terms of traffic density, terrain as their traffic collision risk, terrain collision risk and loss of control risk will shoot over the roof….

In the UK, there was no MAC inside clouds since and there was no MAC above 3000ft agl, that would tell you something about scud running as there was load of flight into terrain, mid airs bellow 3000ft agl and in the circuit

ULM/UL don’t fly in clouds AFAIK

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Oct 08:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I think that’s a mis-characterisation. Most of us who fly regularly in IMC outwith controlled airspace use a combination of common sense route planning, SERA semicircular levels, a basic, traffic or deconfliction service and electronic conspicuity to minimise MAC risk.

As Off_Field has intimated, MAC and CFIT does primarily seem to be a disease of over-regulated countries which prohibit IFR in Class G. Whether this is by causation or mere association, it is hardly evidence for the UK to change its current practice.

To the contrary, one might argue that the UK’s relatively permissive regulatory framework fosters, nay commands, that sense of personal responsibility which underpins GA safety.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@Jacko France does not prohibit IFR in class G
It appears that so far only 4 bodies have been found. The 5th possibly fell out of the aircraft during the collision and although presumed dead the police are/were still searching for the body at the last report I have seen. A young lady it is thought.

France

That’s horrible.

Was this near an aerodrome, or enroute?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is the second french MAC this year isnt it?
Will this be the start of french pilots and clubs getting ADSB-out EC installed and taking up the use of devices such as Skyecho or PAW for personal MAC avoidance?

Many (most?) clubs in France have a Mode S transponder in their aeroplanes as this is needed for class C access, but very few have ADSB out. My own club has panel GPS/Mode S-ES transponders fitted, but whenever I have suggested we use the current CS-Stan to connect the two for ADSB-out I get blank looks… A couple of years ago I was given a lecture by a former controller about how ADSB wasnt recognised by ATC so not recommended…

The UK CAA currently has a handout available for pilots towards buying an EC solution, 50% up to £250 I believe.

Regards, SD..

£250 subsidy

I reckon it is being done purely for the drone angle.

In France you can fly more or less everywhere without Mode S, especially VFR at low level (typical mission profile).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message