Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crackling interference on radio

I get a lot of static. It has been noticed only when I started doing videos with a sound track separately recorded, straight from the aircraft intercom. Example

Or here around 3:30

I have all the wicks in place, both radios do it equally, and the elevator is bonded to the airframe (it wasn’t ex-factory, resulting in a massive loss of comms on the rear antenna radio after the bearings were properly greased, for a change ).

However, the ailerons and flaps are not bonded and never were.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No offers on this one?

Administrator

There is a pattern in it, I highly doubt this would be static. Sounds more like a switched mode power supply.

Clearly, on its own, it doesn’t break the squelch open. Have you tried to override the squelch (pull the volume button on your, push it on some others). Switch off different gear on at a time, listen for any difference.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

When the WX is convective I very frequently pick up static on COM1.
The 2nd receiver is less prone to static, so I just switch to COM2.

It must have to do with the different position of the antennas. COM1 is on the top while COM2 is mounted underneath the fuselage.

Doesn’t sound like static to me.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Sounds like a weak signal strength. You get all sorts of effects then with other adjacent frequencies mixing in and such.

Peter wrote:

It has been noticed only when I started doing videos

I don’t understand this. You are saying you don’t hear it over your headset?

Sounds like ignition based interference? Does it change with varying RPM?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

A very good point about the RPM. I will test that next time.

When I said I didn’t notice it before, I do now It’s just when flying one focuses on stuff which needs focus, and listening to stuff in a chair at home one hears other things also.

Regarding avionics interference I didn’t think the frequency was anywhere near anything I have in the plane. A (say) 1Hz click could be the TXP, DME, TCAS, etc. I can measure the frequency in this case with a sound editor and it sounds like 20Hz which could indeed be the ignition.

It is present only on incoming radio, never on outgoing, or in inter-cockpit comms. And it is not present on strong incoming, only on weaker stuff. It is equal on COM1 & COM2 so it doesn’t sound like back-end static (corona from the elevator or VS) because when I had that I lost COM2 while COM1 was fairly usable (details posted here before – solved by bonding the elevator).

Administrator

Sorry, one of those annoying suck eggs questions….But did you have any charger plugged into the cigarette lighter?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

There is, but it’s one I built myself, and there is an on/off switch on the input of it. The clicking noise was present with it turned off.

I have some old videos with cockpit sound and can check when it started…

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message