Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cost of retrofitting an autopilot to a homebuild?

IO390 wrote:

I went for Garmin as I dislike the Dynon servo design, as the Garmin uses a proper clutch to disconnect the servo/deal with over torque

AFAIU the GFC500 servos don’t have a clutch either.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They use stepping motors, so possibly not, because with a stepper you don’t need a gearbox with some huge ratio (like 5000:1) which in turn mandates some clutch or similar safety feature.

I looked into doing an STC for retrofitting the King servos with a stepper but didn’t have time to progress it.

To install an AP yourself (amateur built plane) you need lots of skill, but if you have that, you can use your time for free and avoid paying 4 or more digits to an installer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To install an AP yourself (amateur built plane) you need lots of skill, but if you have that, you can use your time for free and avoid paying 4 or more digits to an installer.

Not necessarily, depending on what you call “lots of skill”. E.g. with the Europa you have excellent and detailled step by step guidance from Europa with a MOD number, sketches, photos etc. (the LAA can also offer support with its inspectors…) But yes, you shouldn’t be “all thumbs” (like me)

EDLE

Peter wrote:

A shear pin is dumb.

Peter, can I challenge you on that?
a shear pin is a simple solution to a potentially catastrophic problem. What’s wrong?

On the other hand, I’ve read horror stories of folks fighting the fight of their life with apparently properly functioning clutch because for whatever reason the G3X envelope protection system decided to puch the nose down.

Poland

@RV14 that’s why I didn’t enable the ESP in my G3X – I didn’t like the idea of the low airspeed protection activating in the flare and shoving the nose down… also the plane ends up in some unusual attitude on most flights so I’d forever be switching it off anyway :)

The main point I should have made before moaning about Dynon servos is that the kit you install will probably just depend on what’s already in there. If you have a Dynon efis then stick with the Dynon AP, vice versa for Garmin.

United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message