Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Collecting ratings

Peter wrote:

You need just the CPL exams, not the CPL itself, to teach the PPL.

As Peter says, just the exams. Not even a CPL TK course is required.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 Dec 07:29
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

maxbc wrote:

I went through this question myself, and deemed the best way to go about things is to 1) become an excellent private pilot, bring friends and family along in trips and 2) own a good plane and decrease costs by increasing expertise – learn maintenance, search for good to own aircraft models, know insurance markets etc… instead of searching for people who would pay you to fly.

This was my approach also. Due to a fortunate turn of events (related to an M&A of my former company) I found myself, aged 45, having sufficient cash for either:
1) paying for professional pilot training, then try my luck as co-pilot “somewhere” for certainly low money. Not really an option to sustain a family (my son was born the same year), and I was still far out of the 1500(?) hours required for an ATPL.
or 2) buying a small aircraft, fly to my heart’s content as a PPL, and stay in my current career path – which I enjoy and pays sufficiently well to entertain a small, not complex aircraft such as the 253. Anything “larger” would probably be out of my budget but the 253 does everything I want an aircraft to do.

As @JFonseca I am sometimes toying with the idea of collecting further ratings, but just for the purpose of “upping my game”, not really considering career 2.0 at this time. But there is really no right or wrong here. There are so many variables in play that each situation is unique. @JFonseca I wish you luck and fun in your endeavours, and if a new career in aviation turns out to be a possibility, you will surely enjoy it.

etn
EDQN, Germany

Is it practically possible to sit the CPL exams without doing the mandatory assignments etc?

I could not do that here for the IR. The FTO wanted 1k+ for classroom time and mandatory purchase of ring binders before allowing me to sit the exams.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The main goal is to have fun and continue having objectives. If I set a goal of collecting ratings I will always have a reason to fly more :D

Career 2.0 is just a back up plan. The main plan is to retire and just focus on my many hobbies. But if I get bored of not working, I thought that I could make some money out of one of my hobbies, and this is the “easiest” to monetize.

Switzerland

etn wrote:

2) buying a small aircraft, fly to my heart’s content as a PPL

This is what I would do too 😀

Sidestepping the question, why not collect licences instead? Get a foreign-based FAA 61.75, or CASA PPL, and go fly around the USA or Australia. Both are admin plus flight with instructor (i.e. no exams) and non-expiring. It won’t build a career, but will be an experience and a lot of fun.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

My kids are still young and I have a wife that doesn’t like to fly with me, so I cannot leave home base for extended periods. Buying is also in my plans, in the very near future, but it will be a TMG which can only be flown VFR. My plan for the next few years (until retirement) is to glide with the TMG on Sunday during the soaring season. Off gliding season I will focus on the PPL ratings and now and then use the TMG as a plane.

Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message