Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Climate Activists" vandalise business jets

An Aztec just ordinarily rich (a MEP is awfully expensive to operate) but if you’re an individual owning a Citation, which costs upwards of 700K a year to run, I think this fairly fits the definition of super rich when you can spend effectively the equivalent of 7 senior software developer salaries (who themselves are considered fairly rich) per year on your plane.

I know you don’t mean it this way but that is the traditional anti-capitalist argument. As is repeatedly demonstrated in the US, a bizjet can be a really good tool for doing business and thus generating a great deal of wealth which in turn generates some vast number of jobs.

That argument is less strong in Europe because

• the European fashion is to not show one’s success overtly (you need to assess who you are visiting carefully)
  • the distances are generally shorter
  • for cultural/nationalist reasons some of the major countries don’t buy stuff from [certain] other countries (the counter argument is that a personal visit can cut through that)

But the reality is that if you need to travel

• at short notice
  • with ticket flexibility
  • several of you
  • more than say 500km
  • valuing your time spent in the airport “cattle auction” at more than €10/hr
  • and need to carry tools, chemicals, etc
  • need to carry more stuff than you can haul on an airport trolley
  • to a place far from any airline airport (Europe has crap airline connections once away from the standard stuff and the 18-30 Club TUI runs)
  • etc

then a jet is hardly more than an airline flight. I went to an EASA conference c. 2008 in London and a lot of the delegates had paid €3k for totally flexible 1st class tickets! Especially Eric Sivel and the rest of the Cologne/Brussels crowd. UK CAA officials always travelled 1st class, too

When I visit a customer in the TB20 I conceal the means of travel as far as possible. The only guy I ever knew who flew GA overtly was an investment manager who was dealing with billion $ networks clients and they were ok with it – and he never got beyond a TP before giving up flying.

So, yeah, the scene where the rich man’s wife suddenly wants to do a spot of shopping in Cannes, 5k each way, is not a good case for saving fossil fuels, not to mention driving the two corporate pilots crazy, but spraying red paint on some random bizjet is easily misdirected. It could be an owner of a firm with 1000 employees who works 12hrs/day (11.5hrs/day longer than his “working at home” employees), has had 3 stents for it, and some of those employees are likely to be the very dickheads who block the traffic on the M25

You can snip through any fence like that, but that only shows there is no surveillance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

It looks like their is paint in both engine nacelles. Would that result in both engines being a write off?

I don’t know the engine- and nacelle type, but in the engine may be now contaminated calibtated holes , if the nacelle type has a wiremesh application the mesh will be blocked.
So i think without an overhaul there will be no release to service.

EDHN, EDDV, Germany

Was it oil based paint.Now tjat would be ironic.🙂

France

alioth wrote:

f you’re an individual owning a Citation, which costs upwards of 700K a year to run, I think this fairly fits the definition of super rich when you can spend effectively the equivalent of 7 senior software developer salaries (who themselves are considered fairly rich) per year on your plane.

And who sais it’s an individual?

Lots of Citations are owned by companies, air taxi, ambulance services flying organs and sick people, do I need to go on?

The visceral hatred those people display towards evil “private” jets, which more often than not are what they are actually called, namely BUSINESS JETS, often lets folks forget that it may well be them who will be darn glad if they get repatriated after an accident by one of those… the Swiss Air Rescue operate several Challengers. One guy I know flies a Citation in Germany on med evac flights quite regularly.

You know, it’s darn easy to cathegorize and point fingers. That is what these people do.

BerlinFlyer wrote:

They got in by cutting the wired fence with a bolt cutter. As they filmed themselves, you can see it here:

how lovely. Well, nice for the Staatsanwalt if he can collect the proof of a crime right from youtube.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

These hooligans really need better intel. Apparently the Citation did some pro bono ambulance flights in the past.

EDQH, Germany

From a German GA magazine:

Sounds like emulsion, so with a bit of luck “only” the engines will be damaged.

Administrator

Peter wrote, from a German GA magazine:

Why does anyone actually still go through the security check at an airport?

That’s actually a very good question. Particularly at GA terminals.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There are some rules. We did this before. It is to do with achieving a specific level of segregation once airside. Some airports can do it but don’t, while others don’t have the room.

In this case somebody snipped the fence which is unrelated to any official procedures; you can snip any fence in seconds, if there is no patrolling. I am sure Gatwick is patrolled but they can’t be everywhere, especially at night.

Administrator

Are you allowed to walk on the wings like that? Isn’t that a no step area?
And if it is – what I really wondered – how much of an issue is that really?

Berlin, Germany

So eco terrorists are allowed in to set up media stations in an airport to no doubt record their, what I would still class as an illegal entry airside and the police can do nothing to stop them.
And yet ga pilots are going to need security training and carry CIME card even though they could easily just show their pilot’s licence and photo identity. Do we really need training to show is how to keep left of some tape, bollards or whatever to make our way to and from our own aircraft.
Someone I know well just got stopped at by security at Stansted and had a jar of Branston pickle removed from their baggage. She should have said she was going to plaster it over someones private jet rather than make cheese and pickle sandwiches.
In France without the business jets and their pilots being loaned to the health services free of charge to transport doctors and nurses to parts of the country where they were needed most and take them home aftewards the health services in the worst hit parts of the country would have been over run during the worst parts of the Covid crisis.
The world has gone mad.
Wanton damage during or as part of any crisis should not go unpunished. And for those who say its the only way to get their point across, then that point is not worth making.
And I include during strikes and all sorts of other protests in Paris. The majority of the public do not like to see this sort of damage and the violence that often goes with it and it’s about time police, judiciary, and government took notice of the public and not just at election time.
Rant over🙂

Last Edited by gallois at 08 Jun 06:56
France
Sign in to add your message