Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CIRRUS SR22 - Buying, Owning, Maintenance

I believe we made clear that being overweight may not always be a sensitive point for an insurer: it depends on the specific insurer and on the specific Country “tradition”.
What still puzzles me is how can be so much variability on empty weights between Cirruses having exactly the same specs! I found in the market SR22 G3 Turbo Perspectives with as much as 2540lbs empty weights (most of them), while others only have as little as 2360lbs empty weight (like mine): the difference is the weight of 1 or 2 passengers, or the difference between a G1/2/3 and a G5 ! How is that possible?

Yes, that’s indeed interesting, and I think it can hardly explained by the production process. While I know that composited airplanes can vary in weight (mass actually) just because of how the materials, resins etc. were used – i cannot believe that the diference can be THAT big in a standardized production like they have at Cirrus.

Did you check if the light ones had Composite props installed?

I believe all factory turbos have composite propeller (the black “fat” prop), no?

Yes, that might be true, but i’m not sure. Greetings from Catania!

TWO SR22s came down on the parachute in the last days (within 48 hours). One in West Virginia, one in France.
The one in the US was an engine failure short of the destination runway … pilot pulled the chute in 500 ft AGL and landed on a pickup truck on a highway. Nobody hurt. The one in France was an engine failure in 600 m AGL (1800 ft). Nobody hurt.

Alexis,

judging from the photo, I still don’t believe it was anywhere near 500 feet AGL…

For the others, here it is:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jan 17:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes, it looks higher in this picture, but be aware that tis might be a typical iPhone or similar wideangle lens. I only know the pilot reported it was 500 ft AGL. We’ll know soon, i guess.

Still very impressive. An engine failure over a such heavily populated area like WV in the (almost) dark would probably be fatal in non-BRS planes ….

I’m curious. How many of “you” have suffered an engine failure? I haven’t in 20 years flying and it seems odd that relatively new aircraft like the SR20/22 have these kinds of problems. I’ve mainly flown old battered gear with tens of thousands of hours of punishment from students and club members and would expect things to go wrong every now and then, but nothing so far.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Never forget that the vast majority of engine failures are (and will presumably always be) pilot error (fuel starvation, fuel exhaustion, carb ice).

What probably causes the impression that Cirrus engines fail often is that many pilots, faced with an engine “failure” (or even only a malfunction), will nowadays tend to pull the chute. (Let’s not discuss this here now…).

When a 210 or a Beech has an engine problem, the pilot will deadstick it into a field (or an airport ) and there will be no real news coverage.

Just to give an explanation.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jan 18:18
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Also don’t forget the 5000 + population of SR22s and SR20s that is really beeing flown A LOT !

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 08 Jan 18:50
Sign in to add your message