Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Circle to land

Archie wrote:

Perhaps indeed US only. In Oz, you need to keep in sight of the “runway environment”. (i.e. threshold or approach lighting aids or other markings identifiable with the runway)

EASA regs. also mention that the runway environment should be kept in sight. Interestingly enough not in the actual regulation or even in the AMC, but in the Guidance Material! (GM1 (c)(2)(i) to NCO.OP.112.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

what_next wrote:

Why is that? They have instrument approaches from every direction, don’t they?

The sidestep from 14L to 14R or 32R to 32L is technically a circling manoeuvre (and we are talking technicalities here). Happens less now they have a GPS approach for 14R, but it still happens. Interestingly on one of the last occasions I got a sidestep from 14R to 14L when a police helicopter decided it needed to hover beside 14R.

bookworm wrote:

The sidestep from 14L to 14R or 32R to 32L is technically a circling manoeuvre (and we are talking technicalities here).

Ha OK yes, then I too have circled at Cologne!

EGTK Oxford

In the US, a side step maneuver is distinguished from circling:

5−4−19. Side−step Maneuver a. ATC may authorize a standard instrument approach procedure which serves either one of parallel runways that are separated by 1,200 feet or less followed by a straight−in landing on the adjacent runway.
b. Aircraft that will execute a side−step maneuver will be cleared for a specified approach procedure and landing on the adjacent parallel runway. Example, “cleared ILS runway 7 left approach, side−step to runway 7 right.” Pilots are expected to commence the side−step maneuver as soon as possible after the runway or runway environment is in sight. Compliance with minimum altitudes associated with stepdown fixes is expected even after the side−step maneuver is initiated.
NOTE−
Side−step minima are flown to a Minimum Descent Altitude (MDA) regardless of the approach authorized.
c. Landing minimums to the adjacent runway will be based on nonprecision criteria and therefore higher than the precision minimums to the primary runway, but will normally be lower than the published circling minimums
KUZA, United States

Interesting, thank you. What if the adjacent runway has no IAP?

The adjacent runway does not need an approach aid at all.

This “side step” manoeuvre allows for publishing a specific side-step from the primary approach aid to the landing runway with specific minima LOWER than the circling minima. If no such specific procedure has been published, the airport’s circling minima would apply.

Biggin Hill

So the “side-step minima” are explicitly published? Do you have an example?

For example at my old homebase there is a sidestep minimum: KAPA ILS 35R

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KAPA/IAP/ILS+OR+LOC_DME+RWY+35R

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 25 Aug 11:52

@boscomantico,

if side-step minima are published, they apply.
if no side-step minima are published, circling minima apply.

I don’t know what happens if no circling minima are published, I don’t recall a jepp plate not having any, but I never had need for it.

Biggin Hill

Neither did I, but indeed there are quite a few which don’t have any (any more).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message