Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Circle to land

Rwy20 wrote:

If I remember this correctly from my theory classes, you may lose sight of the runway, but you must keep the airport in sight during circling. Is that correct?

Perhaps indeed US only. In Oz, you need to keep in sight of the “runway environment”. (i.e. threshold or approach lighting aids or other markings identifiable with the runway)

Also keep in mind that “visual” does not mean VMC. It just means that you have satisfied the Instrument Approach criteria for minimum visibility and cloud base. These can be lower than VMC, yet you can fly the visual circling approach.

Last Edited by Archie at 22 Aug 06:04

TobiBS wrote:

Maybe I did my training in the wrong area: EDDL, EDDG, EDLW, EDDK, EDLN, EDLV have no corcling minima, only EDLP. Of my home training airports: EDDV, EDVK, EDDW, EDDH have no circling minima, only EDBC and my home airport EDVE. Might be a bad regional choice, but only 3 of 13 is not so many. ;-)

Can you draw a different view around Frankfurt?

There are standard circling minima in the rules. E.g. in NCO.OP.111

It appears that Germany doesn’t publish circling minima unless obstacle considerations require higher.

It appears that Germany doesn’t publish circling minima unless obstacle considerations require higher.

OK, does that mean every approach without prohibition of circling is actually allowed to be used for circling with the minimums from the table?

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Bookworm,

not sure there. NCO is not in effect in Germany. I would have thought that where there are no published circling minima in the IAP plate, then the circling is NA. Anything else would be very “un-German”…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Aug 15:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

TobiBS wrote:

OK, does that mean every approach without prohibition of circling is actually allowed to be used for circling with the minimums from the table?

The table gives the lowest permissible MDA for circling. I can’t imagine that you can just apply them if there are no circling minima published.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

NCO is not in effect in Germany.

Won’t it be within a few days from now?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 22 Aug 19:43
LFPT, LFPN

Yep.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

not sure there. NCO is not in effect in Germany. I would have thought that where there are no published circling minima in the IAP plate, then the circling is NA. Anything else would be very “un-German”…

I circle to land quite often at Cologne, which has no explicit circling minima.

bookworm wrote:

I circle to land quite often at Cologne,…

Why is that? They have instrument approaches from every direction, don’t they?

Last Edited by what_next at 22 Aug 20:55
EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Why is that? They have instrument approaches from every direction, don’t they?

I was also surprised by that. Unless you are doing it to cloud break then circle to a better runway without extra track miles.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message