Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changes to TMZ in Germany

MedEwok wrote:

An exception could of course be made for ultralights, gliders, balloons etc., maybe below a certain level.

{devils advocate mode on}
so an ultralight hitting a 737 at 3000 feet in your TMZ is acceptable?
{devils advocate mode off}

if certain types of traffic can transit a TMZ without a transponder, why bother with the TMZ?

EDL*, Germany

what_next wrote:

So from next winter on, diesel powered cars are simply banned from Stuttgart whenever a “fine dust alert” is issued.

apart from my car which fulfils the EU 6 emissions criteria ;-)

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

if certain types of traffic can transit a TMZ without a transponder, why bother with the TMZ?

Because if the TMZ restriction is not applied to a limited number of types (e.g. those with no engine driven electrical system) the number of those types is so limited in the real world, based on real data, that the added flexibility costs nothing meaningful in terms of safety. The benefit is that almost everybody can go almost anywhere, which is a primary objective of a transportation system. The same principle in that regard will be used for ADS-B Out in the US, starting in 2020, which will otherwise be generally required where a (Mode C) transponder is now generally required.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Mar 17:02

Steve6443 wrote:

apart from my car which fulfils the EU 6 emissions criteria ;-)

Wait two more years and that one will be banned as well. Wanna bet?

EDDS - Stuttgart

why don’t we make the whole country a TMZ?

In fact, we will soon have that (with exceptions). If I understood correctly, the Rules of the Air will soon say that any installed transponder must be on at all times. There’s your Europe-wide TMZ, with a few ultralights/oldtimers and (lots of) gliders without transponders excepted.

In fact, the next step might be that the same will apply for the radio. That is, every aircraft with a radio installed will have to monitor the FIS or radar frequency for the area.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Mar 15:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

{devils advocate mode on}
so an ultralight hitting a 737 at 3000 feet in your TMZ is acceptable?
{devils advocate mode off}

I didn’t mean it this way. I meant that if you hypothetically made the whole country a TMZ, you could designate areas away from airports where flying without a transponder would still be allowed below a certain altitude, so as to keep some space left for entry-level ultralights and gliders.
If technically possible I personally don’t see a problem with equipping them with transponders as well though.

boscomantico wrote:

In fact, we will soon have that (with exceptions). If I understood correctly, the Rules of the Air will soon say that any installed transponder must be on at all times. There’s your Europe-wide TMZ, with a few ultralights/oldtimers and (lots of) gliders without transponders excepted.

True. This will still not fully prevent things like this happening though:
airprox between a Boeing 737 and an unknown sailplane in the vicinity of Bremen Airport
unless sailplanes were also fitted with transponders.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I didn’t mean it this way. I meant that if you hypothetically made the whole country a TMZ, you could designate areas away from airports where flying without a transponder would still be allowed below a certain altitude, so as to keep some space left for entry-level ultralights and gliders.

This exception could be airspace G.

MedEwok wrote:

…unless sailplanes were also fitted with transponders.

A lot of gliders (the majority of those used in competitions) are fitted with transponders so that they can cross aispace C and climb above FL100 (which is airspace C in Germany also). Seems to be no major problem.

EDDS - Stuttgart

The problem with that, in many/most countries (e.g. the UK), is that since most GA flies in Class G, invisibility in G renders traffic detection systems useless. And most commercial traffic flies in CAS where GA rarely goes, and when it does, it is either under radar control (not a problem) or is busting (a problem but relatively rare).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only countries in Europe which have a country-wide class E coverage are Germany, Austria and Swizerland. All other countries are essentially all class G outside of CTRs/CTAs/TMAs.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

And most commercial traffic flies in CAS where GA rarely goes, and when it does, it is either under radar control (not a problem) or is busting (a problem but relatively rare).

That may be different in Germany then. Here most GA traffic takes place in airspace E which is CAS for IFR flights and sees lots of commercial traffic. Making all of airspace E a transponder mandatory zone would not discriminate the UL community too much (at least I think so) and significantly increase the efficiency of traffic alerting devices. All those local TMZ/RMZ things would not be required then.

Last Edited by what_next at 26 Mar 16:37
EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message