Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Canada implements space based Diversity ADS-B

I came across this news article:
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/canada-phasing-in-space-based-ads-b-starting-in-2023/

It is amazing now that all the US planes have been moved to ADS-B out with huge effort it starts all over again. I sometimes wonder why they can not make up an international plan which lasts a little longer. If I am not mistaken this has got the potential to block most trans atlantic piston traffic as I have not seen many such planes with diversity ADS-B.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I saw it online by US flyers who regularly flies yo Canada, I wonder why they can’t they re-broadcast “US style ADSB” to space via ground stations?

If it’s something to do with some very remote airspace and regions where no one flies and no one on the ground to monitor (like NWT with Buffalo Joe’s DC3s or Electras), then why it’s mandatory?

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Feb 21:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

If it’s something to do with some very remote airspace and regions where no one flies and no one on the ground to monitor (like NWT with Buffalo Joe’s DC3s or Electras), then why it’s mandatory?

Canada is a very large country. Very remote airspace doesn’t mean that no one flies there. Check the routes of all the transatlantic flights from Europe to Western Canada and US. 50% of the flight time is from northern Greenland south across all the “remote airspace”. Radar coverage of all that has high operating costs. My strong suspicion is that this is a cost-saving measure to essentially eliminate need for radar coverage beyond airport TMAs.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

My strong suspicion is that this is a cost-saving measure to essentially eliminate need for radar coverage beyond airport TMAs.

Yes, I agree it’s cost saving but I was thinking airliners who fly from above in RVSM will surely have space-ADSB, they are visible on FR24

Pistons & TPs flying there are mostly private or harsh commercial operations like DC3/Electra, why these needs mandatory space-ADSB? what is the actual concern, to be separated from what is above? I think the law of physics do a great job down for lateral & vertical separation

If it’s SAR? I guess ELT/PLB, Garmin InReach and many SatLoc devices are no brainer

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Feb 13:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message