Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Calais IFR arrival from the south and eurocontrol

Hello everyone,

Planning a flight by the end of the month from Biarritz to Calais LFAC.
There is a STAR from the south via the waypoint TRACA, called “TRACA3K”.
Traca can be joined via “BNE” or “CMB” VOR’s.

For both Foreflight and Autorouter planner, the only available routes arrives via DVR (need to cross the channel both ways), or via CMB – TRACA.

I tried, from a valid route going to ABB, to add “N57 BNE”
Result is : (R)ROUTE134: THE STAR LIMIT IS EXCEEDED FOR AERODROME LFAC [LFAC5A] CONNECTING TO BNE

I tried, from the same valid route going to ABB, to add “N57 BNE DCT TRACA”, or even “BNE TRACA3K”, but i have errors each time (
(R)ROUTE165: THE DCT SEGMENT BNE..TRACA (14 NM) IS TOO LONG FOR LFFFDCTX:000:195. MAXIMUM IS 0 NM [LFFF1A])

The RAD confirm the first point of the star should be the last point of the route, but I don’t understand why the TRACA3K star via BNE is not accepted, while the same star via CMB is accepted.

Are my only planning options across the Channel, going via CMB, or canceling IFR ?
I know I can ask something different than planned in flight, but I like to plan something I would accept to fly all the way.!

Thank you for your tips !

/system/1/user_files/files/000/058/315/58315/92e240a07/large/Capture.JPG!

LFBZ, France

It’s Paris TMA that prevents you from going straight but it’s easy to bypass, just file via:

LGL H20 DPE ABB CMB TRACA > FL65

Once you reach ABB ask for DCT to Calais

This is from LaRochelle to Calais & LeTouquet (otherwise AR sends you to Dover as it does not penalize water crossing)

https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/2671-the-complete-charade-of-eurocontrol-ifr-routings/post/300885#300885

I always managed to hack routes in French airspace, I tend to just file whatever in AutoRouter throw the required fuel and ask for better routing while airborne or sometimes fallback on direct IFR OCAS at FL60 (checking NOTAMS & RA)

Note that once you have crossed Rouen TMA (they are Paris ATC) past DPE, you will be talking to Lille and the whole airspace will be yours, given it’s one single controller sector with many airports and empty levels, you could even file VFR in that portion and convert VFR/IFR…

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 14:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

jeff64 wrote:

Are my only planning options across the Channel, going via CMB, or canceling IFR ?
I know I can ask something different than planned in flight, but I like to plan something I would accept to fly all the way.!

No. Your best option is to contact the Eurocontrol helpdesk. They can force a route through the system and are generally very helpful.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I tried Eurocontrol help desk for La Rochelle LFBH to Calais LFAC. It didn’t help. All routes go via DVR. @Ibra’s hack did work, however it is a hack and is ridiculous with the advent of PBN to need to cross International boundaries to fly from and to points in your own country during the planning stage.

France

Just realised my URL has been posted twice

Yes it is a hack but it is ok because French ATC (Paris or Lille according to your altitude) disregard the artificial directionality of the “airways” in NE France – certainly at low levels i.e. below FL200.

Or you can fly that section VFR; I tend to do that nowadays because EGKA-BILGO is a lot shorter than EGKA-SFD-TRACA etc. I was doing that here and nowadays I see little point in using London Control, IFR, and spend 20 mins more in the air The exception would of course be if one needs higher levels for wx avoidance. France allows VFR in the NE quarter, roughly speaking, below FL120. But once in French airspace, best change to IFR ASAP because then ATC takes care of any “prohibited areas”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter you are still talking of crossing international borders. That part of the regulation does not bother me. What bothers me is not being able to file an " I " flight plan to travel from one part of France to another. I appreciate that pilots flying IFR should have ELP to level 4 at least, however many pilots flying to and from places in their own country would prefer to stick to their own language.
In this case there is also the fact that one has to fly over large extents of water which many SEP pilots are wary of.
I also realise that usually ATS will help out with routing once in the air but there should be a way it can be planned via FF, Autorouter, Rocket Route or whatever.

France

thanks all for your help.

so I will probably do the Ibra method, ie : filing through CMB, and asking a shortcut.

This is what I planned, but as I said, like to plan what I intend to fly.

Thank you all

LFBZ, France
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message