Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a family plane (and performance calculations)

Both according to the accident report and the pilot’s own statement (also here in EuroGA) the reason was that the pilot commenced a missed approach but aborted it when he got the runway environment in sight. The report doesn’t make any mention of the runway being too short. (It does mention that the pilot did not compute the runway requirements.)

Yeah… hmmm…

Best to avoid this Timothy topic, guys. There is way too much trouble and hassle all around this. He runs PPL/IR and high profile participants there get excommunicated if they participate on EuroGA. That’s why a bunch have vanished from EuroGA. Loads of work for the admin (me). A vast quantity of posts deposited here, not relevant to GA and which would not have been allowed in the (miniscule) forum he runs.

What exactly somebody was doing to pile an Aztec up at EGHE, and the weather at the time, is of little applicability to the use of twins for family flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

He runs PPL/IR and high profile participants there get excommunicated if they participate on EuroGA.

I’m a reasonably “high profile” participant on the PPL/IR forum and have not yet seen any signs of being excommunicated. Also he does not “run” the forum. He is neither administrator nor moderator. (He is a board member of the PPL/IR association, but not the chairperson.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Aiming to go back in topic, I think the debate about which family airplane can use a 400m strip is a contradiction in itself: does someone with actual and practical knowledge of landing a heavyish SEP into a 400m grass strip seriously consider putting the words “family”, “airplane” and “400m strip” in the same sentence?

Gents: one thing is what you and I may do for fun on a certain day, ready to go around and try again or divert if we do not like it, most likely with just one or two POB, and worst case, some metal dinged…

A different matter is taking the family there for a fun day out or a weekend or a holiday… where you have:

-Extra pressure to land at the planned location and take-off at the planned time
-Significantly more weight
-A lot more at stake

In my view, regardless of the airplane type, talking of a strip shorter than 600m as a family destination is taking it too far and is the kind of attitude which ends up making others (including family) think GA is an unsafe activity.

Last Edited by Antonio at 23 Oct 13:41
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I’ve seen a TB10, 3-up, get airborne with a 350m ground run. But in reality there are very few planes capable of operating from 400m, MTOW, with safety margins for stuff like ISA+20. A Maule can do it, but you will need an adequate stock of sickbags for the “wife and kids” for a typical summer day with “white fluff” around (been there, seen it myself; wasn’t pretty)

I’m a reasonably “high profile” participant on the PPL/IR forum and have not yet seen any signs of being excommunicated.

They would not dare But you have not been super-elevated to the “Executive Committee”!

Also he does not “run” the forum. He is neither administrator nor moderator.

I think you would be surprised… IF the above is true, and they really have removed his passwords, and influence, then there must have been massive changes in response to “something”, and I absolutely do not believe anybody there would have the balls. Well, he does/did serve on the CAA infringement pilot sentencing committee. Maybe it was that.

Like I said, I am happy we don’t have that trouble here anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

IF the above is true

That’s what the forum software says when you ask who the administrators and moderators are.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Antonio spots it in the right direction. It doesn’t matter whether the plane could do 400 meters. You just don’t press it. It’s your kids, in the first place, and you have to add some stress margin for flying with your spouse. When your kids are on board 😅😉

Some day I want to go to Helgoland, been there several times but with other planes. Waiting for the weather conditions allowing that. Blue skies and at least 25 knots in runway direction. 😇😇

600 meters is doable, and that leaves still lots of places on the list..

Last Edited by UdoR at 23 Oct 19:47
Germany

I’m on board with @Antonio and @UdoR regarding short field operations with your family. 400 m is simply no reasonable runway length for any flight with your family unless you have a true STOL aircraft.

Flying one’s family should automatically include reasonable safety margins above what is possible “by the book”. So the discussion is a bit pointless.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter wrote:

I’ve seen a TB10, 3-up, get airborne with a 350m ground run

Well, would you want to fly that airplane in those conditions with your family (assuming same weight as ‘3-up’ ) into and out of a “400m strip” ?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

In my view, regardless of the airplane type, talking of a strip shorter than 600m as a family destination is taking it too far and is the kind of attitude which ends up making others (including family) think GA is an unsafe activity.

Can confirm. Took the family in a 172 to Günzburg last year and the with all safety factors added the published runway length of 580m seemed a bit tight for the loaded plane and with grass you never really know. I ended up doing a traffic circuit with only the kids in the back but left the wife on the ground to check the takeoff performance. It had already cooled down a bit and the grass was short and smooth so it wasn’t a problem at all but she is still mad at me for leaving her on the ground for 15 minutes.

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

she is still mad at me for leaving her on the ground for 15 minutes.

See? There are dangers for the family in flying it tight other than brushing the trees on the departure end…

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message