Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best aircraft for European trips

The TB20 is not quick (150 TAS @10k) but 200kt TAS? At FL200+

Almost no SEP does a genuine 200kt at 10k or less. Well, a Spitfire will.

Other tradeoffs too e.g. a top overhaul is < 1000hrs for just about any turbo. My earlier comments on the “management overhead”…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Almost no SEP does a genuine 200kt at 10k or less. Well, a Spitfire will.

Cessna 400 aka TTx? I know of no other 200kt+ SEPs at FL100 or below…

EGTR

Peter wrote:

at 10k or less

If so limited then the M20M would still be a 185KTAS aircraft.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Peter wrote:

a top overhaul is < 1000hrs for just about any turbo

Yes

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Check out the fuel flow at full bore on these types. TTX is about 35 USG/hr. This debate is unrealistic.

As has been said, start with where to base this, where to maintain it, and then go from there.

Administrator

I was briefly based at Elstree and collected enough prop hits to need a prop overhaul. The runway start area was covered in rocks; nobody could be bothered to sweep them away.

The PC12s that fly in and out of Elstree blow those away now Taxiway C however requires deft handling to avoid a prop strike, but you get a free suspension test!

ETGR, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This debate is unrealistic.

Why? TTX maybe, but the M20M will be doing 185KTAS at 20USGPH at FL100 or 200KTAS at FL200 same FF…T/O FF will probably be 30GPH as you say, but that is only for 1 min, and the OP is already familiar with the type, if not the engine…The M20K eats as many cylinders as the M20M, so he already knows what this is about.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Steven_P wrote:

free suspension test!

Appalling

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Reading all your comments, I’m now really concerned about finding the right base “near” London. Biggin was not ideal but worked when I was based there c. 7yrs ago, that seems to have changed.

KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States

I would suggest physically visiting Biggin airport and make enquiries at their Reception. They will give you a list of companies there. Maybe you can get it via email.

We don’t seem to be getting a response here from any current hangarage tenant.

One caveat is that not all hangar options may be staffed all the time. I used to know of one hangar whose “manager” was hardly ever there. That one went bust years ago.

Southend is another option worth a look, perhaps. I knew a guy who hangared his TB20 there, for 7k/year (10+ years ago).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message