Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bathing in Welzow.

Because I couldn’t resist and I am presently stuck in an office in London… here are some more pics.

Where shall I land?

Fresh water mixing with salt water

Chilko lake

The next three are the West coast of BC, near the north end of Vancouver Island. Arriving just in time before the sun sets!

The next day.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

MH. nice plane. Hope you have lots of fun in it. Adam Frisch made this,

of an abandoned Lake at Elstree. There was one at Cumbernauld, many years back. I had the pleasure of test flying it one day with a colleague that was renovating it. Split my head open on the throttle lever, that sat above my head. It was torrential rain. I remember it did everything at 60kts. Took off, flew, stalled, crashed, landed, all at 60……..It was a very exciting circuit that day. From memory, It actually never flew again, with the exception of an aborted test flight off Rothesay, in the sea. It never got airborne, and filled up with water. Ah, those were the days…

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

@BeechBaby Do you know if this lake still is in Elstree?

@Canuck Well, what can you say, Germany is a bit silly in this terms. I’d love to see these freedoms in Germany, although in my vicinity there aren’t that many suitable places to operate from, because many water bodies are either within protected areas, fresh water reserves, too shallow or too small or obstructed with industrial installations. But Scandinavia isn’t too far and if I can get an exemption for a lake in the vicinity it would be a step in the right direction. It will be a long, hard road to improve amphibious “infrastructure” in Germany but I have to keep marching in the direction my predecessors went.

There isn’t – at least to my knowledge – a single list of rules for European countries, but it isn’t all that hard. I have been told that basically in Scandinavia the only rules are to stay out of nature preservatives and don’t annoy anyone. In Poland, I have been told, you can water anywhere where it isn’t explicitly verboten.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

MH. Really not sure. Perhaps someone with knowledge of that airfield may check.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I will check my picture library but I think the Lake was already rotting there when I flew there for what turned out to be a highly significant date on 15th Sep 2003

It was definitely well settled there when I was there for the last time, doing the FAA CPL in 2007 before that route (visiting DPEs) closed for ever.

Isn’t there another one rotting at Biggin Hill, visible from the perimeter road leading to the old Air Touring hangars?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If someone knows what to look for, google maps might reveal if it is still at Elstree.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I love the fact that in Moosehead lake in Maine (52B) there is a runway on the lake using Garmin Synthetic Vision. Also an RNAV approach.

EGTK Oxford

There used to be an approach to the floatplane area west of Vancouver International – may have gone the way of the LF four course range approaches which were around BC. I think it was a dedicated approach, either a LOC or NDB. Back in the day you had Catalinas operating commercially, not sure doing what, I don’t think firefighting.

That Lake at EGTR has been around since the 90’s.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I just love the missed approch point… GASPE

RobertL18C wrote:

That Lake at EGTR has been around since the 90’s.

Robert, its been there from before that…. ‘as the story goes’ ….back in the 80’s an Auster (?) flew down from Scotland (?) to Elstree and crashed into that lake, fortunately the pilot was wearing a life jacket !!

Work that one out.

Sign in to add your message