Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics refit Turbo Arrow in the UK

Flyer59 wrote:

used GTX328 transponder

Not suiteable, Can be used upto 15.000 Ft / 175 Kts.

RobertL18C wrote:

The 430W should provide .833 and run the HSI in both VOR and GPS mode, but this would need checking.

This is correct.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Without spending too much money………

Aspen and move the vac AI to the hole that the ADF indicator was in should sort the AI redundancy and indication issues.

Garmin GTN650 for NAV/COM #1 with the remote Garmin mode S transponder.

The Garmin GTX NAV/ COM for #2.

Look in the USA for a second hand DME, the Americans are discarding then for full glass upgrades and top of the range units are to be had at rock bottom prices ( I paid £ 1200 for a KN63 and £200 for NAVCOM ltd for a form 1 inspection ).
DME is vital in Europe and this who think you can substitute GPS position are heading for a human factors CFIT.

Keep the ADF, the KR87 is the best ADF in town and it is vital as a back up when the other systems quit and is required for some IFR approaches, the fact that ADF info it can be displayed on the Aspen will make it more usable. ( if your ADF has the option super-flag all the better).

Thanks everyone for your considered inputs. All very useful stuff. I largely agree with A and C, but as Peter says there are no problems with my KX155s so I shall keep one rather than buy a GTX, but buy a GNS as you suggest to have 8.33 capability. Any idea how much the remote transponder comes in at? The TT31 seems very attractive but I suspect any Garmin Mode S equipment will be upwards of £3k?

A and C your point about DME should have been in capital letters and bold print. I lost two friends only 5 months ago in the UK to a CFIT accident. I, and some sources closer to the investigation, are convinced he was using the Garmin 530 GPS distance to the off-airport Nav aid rather than the ILS associated DME at the runway threshold as he turned inbound on the final approach track, and descended too early in IMC over high ground with catastrophic results.

My primary flying activity is on medium jets. It terrifies me how the industry has trained its new pilots over the last few years to use FMC/FMS and map display fixes to determine distance. I confess I am (somewhat proudly) a Luddite and lost without the reassurance of DME.

I shall also lose the DME when the KNS80 is discarded, thus I shall have to find a KN64 or similar. What’s the difference between a KN62,63 and 64?

The Aspen idea is great. I think I shall have to keep the vacuum AI as it would appear this is the only instrument that will drive my KAP150? I expect I shall replace the turn co-ordinator by relocating the AI here.

The KN62 & 64 are panel mounted units that can be tuned from the front of the unit or remotely controlled from most modern NAV/COM units, the 62 is the high power TSOed version.

The KN63 is a remote version of the 62 it can only be tuned by a NAV/ COM and is controlled by the remote display unit that will lock it to Nav1, Nav 2 or hold the selected frequency.

My usual test of DME performance is flying northbound over the Wales at FL60 towards the Isle of Man, normal lock on range with the KN64 is about 95NM and the KN62 about 125NM.

I have owned five of these units and I have never had one go wrong in twenty years ( my KN63 is about to go into my latest Avionic upgrade )

Velar wrote:

Any idea how much the remote transponder comes in at? The TT31 seems very attractive but I suspect any Garmin Mode S equipment will be upwards of £3k?

Not sure if I understand you correct. A garmin GTX-330 panel mount transponder will be more expensive then TT-31 and doesn’t give you ADS-B. The GTX-33 remote transponder is more expensive then the GTX-330 and doesn’t do ADS-B as standard either.
Do note the GTX-33 can only be controlled by a GTN series for panel mount navigators. The GNS serie’s can not control this remote transponder. The Trig TT-31 would be the best price / quality you will be able to get.

A_and_C wrote:

Garmin GTN650 for NAV/COM #1 with the remote Garmin mode S transponder.

I don’t understand the remote mode S transponder. Unless you need the panel space? These are more expensive. The regular GTX-330 can also be remote controlled if desired and is more economical.

Velar wrote:

The Aspen idea is great. I think I shall have to keep the vacuum AI as it would appear this is the only instrument that will drive my KAP150?

You can also get a solid state autopilot adapter, which will couple the Aspen AHRS to the autopilot. However you will need a second AI anyway (when using EFD1000 for IFR) you would be better of keeping your excisting one, which also drives the autopilot.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse

In my case I am woefully short of panel space so going remote is the only option with the added advantage that I can put it in a more favourable location from a C of G point of view.

As for the GTN with the new long 8.33 frequently numbers it I’d much easer to put the numbers in to the screen than twist two knobs when reading back the frequency and it is much the same with the transponder code.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message