Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD545 / IFD 510 / IFD410

These have just been announced but it is difficult to find any info on what is different from the older boxes i.e. 550 / 540 / 440. This suggests the 510 has a different user interface

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Like Garmins, they are the same without COM or NAV. Some jets use the GNS 400 or 500 as GPS. These are the replacements.

LFOU, France

The IFD 410 a lot more expensive than the Garmin 175. Are they similar?

Last Edited by Bathman at 08 Nov 15:21

Just been announced? Where & by whom? The IFD510/IFD410 have been part of the IFD series for years. The linked article is dated 2011 which was before Avidyne started IFD deliveries. The IFD510/IFD410 is the GPS-only version similar to GNS500/400. Same user interface as all other boxes in the line. The IFD545 is the GPS-only version of the IFD550, which have AHRS and a fourth button SVS at the bottom for the associated synthetic vision.

Last Edited by chflyer at 09 Nov 06:07
LSZK, Switzerland

It looked like an advert for new boxes. Whoops

No relevance to GA though, especially in Europe where NAV (ILS etc) is needed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The 410 is not only more expensive than Garmin GPS175 it is also more expensive than the GNX375 which is crazy.

EGBP, United Kingdom

One of the primary Avidyne selling arguments for the IFD line is plug-and-play replacement for a G* GNS unit. While there are limitations associated with that, in many cases it will save considerable avionics shop installation $$$. Each case would need to be priced with hardware + installation. The IFD came out at a point in time when the G* alternative was the GTN line, which required significant rewiring if upgrading from a GNS box. The same would likely still be true for GNS migration to the newer G* boxes, but Avidyne will certainly come under price pressure given the lower prices of those non-GTN devices.

Last Edited by chflyer at 11 Nov 14:27
LSZK, Switzerland

What is the typical labour required in going from a GNS 430 non-W to a GTN650, Assuming typical King instrument fit?

It seems to me that could upgrade to an IFD 440 for about €9000 (trading in the GNS430), where the only labour is the new antenna and running through the configuration pages.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

It seems to me that could upgrade to an IFD 440 for about €9000 (trading in the GNS430), where the only labour is the new antenna and running through the configuration pages.

New cables? I think that is required for things like LPV/WAAS to work… I could be wrong.

EGTR
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message