Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Average cost of private flying...

Adam, sometimes you say the weirdest things – and I genuinely mean that in the best way possible!

So you’d be fine replacing the Aerostar with a glider for those 2000nm x/c’s?

Aviation is a money pit. Most people would generally resent spending a marginal hourly cost of EUR250 on a hobby.

However, €250/hr for flying one more hour, would need something pretty big. I doubt even a TBM costs that much. A 421C might get close to it.

Whereas an SR22 here at EGKA (the one which is now at the bottom of the sea) used to rent at about €300/hr. When the economy was booming, it was busy enough taking girls out for lunch at le Touquet.

That’s why ownership does so much good for one’s flying

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ah – I was purely referring to rental costs. Outside US, EUR250/hr seems de rigueur for a 180hp spam can.

That’s why ownership does so much good for one’s flying

A-men. Even though total cost & financial risks are surely lower for renters flying a moderate amount of hours, the thought of having the meter running at EUR250/hr is just a real disincentive towards the pleasure of flying… – I’d rather budget a larger sum up front, and then just fly the hell out of it, at a lower marginal cost.

Outside US, EUR250/hr seems de rigueur for a 180hp spam can.

Don’t know where you are, but as a serial renter I’ve never paid even close to that price.

One school at Shoreham EGKAprice list

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anyone can afford aviation, anyone can afford to be an aircraft owner. Even if you work at McDonalds.

You can buy/build real nice RC model aircraft for around 200€ these days. It will take an average McDonalds employee here in Germany three to four months to put aside that amount after having paid his rent, bus tickets (no way he can afford a car here) and the most basic food and clothing…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hodja – you can.

A Rollason Condor or any of the small, old, wooden aircrafts with a simple C85 and on the Annex maintenance would cost very little. Maybe £3000-5000/year? If one really wanted to fly and own an aircraft, you could manage that on a £15-20K McDonalds salary. You just have to prioritise slightly different, maybe live a little cheaper.

My half share in a Falco costs me around £7500 per year all inc for 50 hours flown so ownership for me is way better than renting.

Forever learning
EGTB

QuoteYou just have to prioritise slightly different, maybe live a little cheaper.

Yes, like leaving your apartment and camp under the wing of the plane
BTW, here in Spain nowhere near one would make 15-20 k GBP at a McD, more like 6 k.
Employers do seem to use the old adagium ‘to never waste a good crisis’.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

£80 per month for a C172 plus £80 per hour. Non-equity share. And I know of people paying considerably less.

Sign in to add your message