Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC services in Class G

Airborne_Again wrote:

Now you’re just being silly.

I don’t think so.

Airborne_Again wrote:

How do you know that you are in radio contact with ATC in controlled airspace?

You don’t. A friend of mine once got a bollocking because he didn’t respond to an ATC request in the middle of Frankfurt airspace. It then turned out that at the time he was called, he was just passing a DAB transmitter that turned out to have a huge noise floor, out of band. Yet he thought he was in constant radio contact.

The point is that controlled airspace (at least D and “better”) is usually designed in a way (not in Italy, though) that you have a chance to get radio contact propagation wise.

If, on the other hand, you fly around very low level, radio range seriously suffers, and there’s no way to know whether you are within (downlink) range of a suitable radio outlet, since their position is usually not published. So relying on ATC services when roaming about low level in G because “Scandinavian countries provide seamless ATC service to IFR aircraft in class G airspace” and because it seems like there is 2 way radio contact is a somewhat risky proposition IMO.

LSZK, Switzerland

tomjnx wrote:

You don’t.

Exactly. You don’t know this any better than I do, so you’re just nitpicking.

So relying on ATC services

Where did I say I was “relying on ATC services”? I was using ATC services, not relying on them.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Jul 12:56
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message