Assistance needed - Revamping an airfield on the Coast of Spain

£/€30 is the minimum viable landing fee

sorry, I have no words…

Poland

… for a hard runway in good condition.

For grass, with optional rabbit holes, you can do it for £/€10

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“on the edge of Europe” there are airports with hard runways in good condition and 3 kinds of fuel
landing fee is 10E+VAT
some clubs would not charge you at all, again for landing on hard runway in good condition

Admittedly, there are grass strips full of molehills which would demand 30E+VAT for lading

Last Edited by RV14 at 25 Feb 21:08
Poland

… with heavy subsidy from the aforementioned sources.

Administrator

In general, £/€30 is the minimum viable landing fee

I’m amazed at @Peter’s savvy of the workings and costs of airfields in Spain. Guess this probably takes into account the setting up of an ILS or Rnav for his own needs…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Our landing fees are really cheap but I know why. We as a club are able to subsidise it with another income. We do this intentionally because we regard doing and training landings just as so important that it should be plain cheap.

I know airfields around my Homebase who chose the same but everyone different, e.g. three landings included in 1 fee.

However knowing some background of these factors I do respect other airfields prices who do not have the possibility to do this cross-transfer of money. And you should, too @RV14 and others.

Most are run by clubs. They may not generate income. But costs to maintain an asphalt strip have to come from somewhere. There’s no such governmental fund money to pay that.

And depending on the circumstances (someone who does it for free??) and soil below (e.g. drainage required?) also maintenance of a grass strip may involve significant costs, differing vastly from one club to another. People who do this in their free time are diminishing very significantly. But we all want a perfect cut grass and smooth surface etc.

Last Edited by UdoR at 26 Feb 06:05
Germany

Exactly.

All of the cheap stuff we see is there because somebody is working for nothing, or there is a subsidy from another activity.

One probably could run a hard runway place on €10 and fuel sales, but based on what I see you would need something approaching 100k movements a year, and this will never be achieved in Spain, which has little money spending GA internally, is a long way from the rest of Europe, and the GA community in the immediately adjacent country rarely leaves its home country (in fact most of it cannot legally leave its home country due to ELP).

Guess this probably takes into account the setting up of an ILS or Rnav for his own needs…

Dan, I know you are being sarcastic but actually, in Europe, an IAP costs around 30k per runway end to get designed, which is one reason we have so few of them. Almost no airfield can justify this for additional traffic unless you have commercial traffic, or a based FTO.

Administrator

@UdoR can I ask what your “another income” is which can subsidise a hard runway.
Ours is volunteers and the local councils. As the will of the first dwindles and funds and other aid from the second becomes more difficult we need to look to all ideas for the future.
We are fortunate at present we still have people happy to plunge into the jobs that need to be done and a very supportive town council, but a great deal has to be done on very little money.

France

and a very supportive town council

The council is either giving you money, or they are being generous in planning policy (“zoning” is another term used in the US) in supporting aero use for land which would be worth a lot more if turned into housing, or industrial buildings.

There is no free lunch. Or perhaps one should say “there has been a lot of free lunch in decades past but it is becoming more difficult”.

And many previous discussions on “GA tightness” See e.g. Air parks. In fact Spain features heavily in this department!

Administrator

The council gives some money to an association made up of users ie the clubs and maintenance outfits.
The association is responsible for using this money (and we are not talking big money here) to help manage and maintain the airfield. And the association is the communications route between the airfield users and the town hall.
The town hall also helps out in terms of negotiations with state and independent bodies. Eg they were able to facilitate the funding of the RNAV approach by the company installing wind turbines in the area. They also negotiate with the DGAC and generally try to support ways of making the airfield more popular with the local populace and in finding ways to encourage visitors.
These are not necessarily big steps, just little things to help.
Having the same goals means that we can also help the town hall and the residents at large, by running the BIA with the various local lycée, like working with local handicapped groups to give them the pleasures of flight, and like every year most of the schools and communes bring their class 6 children and parents along and we take the kids on a vol découverte. We usually adapt these flights to pass over their schools.
But you have to have good will on all sides and fortunately at the moment we have that. But an election can soon change things.

France
Sign in to add your message