Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody using Camguard? (merged)

Is there an argument against an additional shot of Lyco’s LW 16702 ?

40 arguments at 1 Euro each. That is more than the cost for the whole oil change plus oil analysis. The additive is only required for certain Lycoming engines with a very specific cam setup.

There was a very interesting article in a recent german magazine claiming that the effect of LW16702 is to make the oil easier to spay. Apparently the Lycoming camshaft does not even have primary oil supply so it is dependent on this. In addition the article says that the other products similar to 16702 are not compatible so mixing them or putting 16702 in an oil which already comes with a another spray additive might be bad.
That being said we recently discussed here the drilled Lycoming camshafts. Anybody went ahead and bought one? Having no pressure oil at such an important part just seems wrong to me the longer I think of it.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Is there an argument against an additional shot of Lyco’s LW 16702 ?

On top Aircraft Spruce Europe just stopped selling the product because it was somehow declared hazardous and could not longer be shipped without extra charges. Anybody had similar problems with other vendors?

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 08 Nov 21:52
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

According to Service Bulletin No. 471B, it appears that LW-16702 is only needed for Lycoming TIO-541-and TIGO-541 series engines, and not for IO-540 series.

United States

just found this in an AOPA publication (“Learn Your Lycoming”)

LW-16702 oil additive

Occasionally a service bulletin will update a service instruction, especially if it seems that users are missing the message. This happened in early 1999 with the issuance of Service Bulletin 471A. This bulletin relates to the use of Lycoming antiscuffing additive LW-16702 in the oil of TIO-541 and TIGO-541 engines that are most commonly installed on Beech Dukes, pressurized Beech Barons, and pressurized Piper Navajos. The language in the service bulletin, with words such as must and essential, is unmistakable — use this additive at every oil change or suffer the consequences. Again, with current data available only from service bulletins, letters, and instructions, this vital information would be missed without the subscription.

Service Instruction 1409B also mentions LW-16702. If owners and/or their mechanics haven’t read this instruction, they won’t know that Lycoming recommends that this antiscuffing additive be added to all of its engines (except for a few that are equipped with a friction-type clutch) at every oil change. It helps lubricate the camshaft and hydraulic lifter bodies after engine startup before the oil has completely circulated. If owners are using oils that have this additive (Aeroshell W100 Plus and 15W-50 multigrade oils, and Exxon Aviation Oil Elite 20W-50) then they should not add the LW-16702 to their oil

Last Edited by nobbi at 09 Nov 08:17
EDxx, Germany

Thank you nobbi for pointing out 1409B. How does the anti-scuffing agent work? The document states:

occasionally when an engine is first started, particularly if the engine has not been used for an extended period, during cold weather, for a very brief interval there is insufficient residual oil between moving parts

If there is insufficient residual oil left, then there is also no anti-scuffing agent left (since the agent is in the oil).

United States

Is there an argument against an additional shot of Lyco’s LW 16702

According to Ed Kollin, the LW-16702 should not be used, because it is more harmful than helpful. It attacks seals.

For my IO540 in my climate (hovering mostly between freezing point and 5 degree Celsius during winter time), he recommends Phillips 20W50 + CamGuard.

United States

Philipps X/C is multi grade (20W50) but not using synthetic PAO, it’s all mineral. According to Ed Collin, it’s the preferred option. With your mix of 15W50 and W80, you still have a lot of PAO and you have all the other additives which might not play well with Camguard.
So I guess I will be the first in Europe to use Phillips X/C
I have just ordered the Phillips XC 20W 50 (as well as Camguard) for my next oil change….so is Achim still a lone user in Europe?

No……. I’ve been using Philips X-Country for years. I use it from Nov through April. Then I switch to Shell 100. I use Camguard with both types of oil. Im down to last case.
Will be ordering more come spring. Last time I checked it was 52 Euro incl vat but w/o shipping.

KHTO, LHTL

I use the very same oil as you, Gene. I order it with www.aircraftspruce.eu which has the cheapest price from what I’ve found.

use it from Nov through April

What is the reason?

Are you in a unheated hangar and it is very cold where you are?

Otherwise, for flying, there can’t be any point because the engine normally has a temperature controlled bypass valve for the oil cooler.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message