Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any way to install an overhauled engine on an EASA-reg plane if the work was done by a US engine shop without EASA 145 approval?

I am asking this to help a friend.

This used to be possible if the US shop produced an Export CofA. This is a form signed by a US DAR (Designated Airworthiness Representative) and in the USA it used to cost about $300.

Otherwise, installing a used part (even if it is your own engine or any other part which has been overhauled or repaired) needs an EASA-1 form. I am looking for a reference for this… might be something called MA613.

The Export CofA system is what makes it possible to put a used N-reg plane onto an EASA reg. Obviously the whole plane is “used” so some way must be found to import it…

However I heard a few years ago that the Export CofA system was stopped by the FAA, and this resulted in (at least) the UK CAA accepting Class 1 parts (engines and props) with just an 8130-3 form. However I have just heard from a US engine shop that the information about the CofA discontinuation appears to be be incorrect as of today.

Does anyone know any more?

Please, no more of the usual thread derailing about using a European engine shop instead!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However I heard a few years ago that the Export CofA system was stopped by the FAA

If this were true, you could not put a N-reg aircraft onto the EASA register which you definitely can.

M.A.613 looks like this and has lots of AMC:

My knowledge is not good enough to answer this particular case but is it not quite common to accept Form 8130 these days?

Here is a link to Part-M.

ESSZ, Sweden

I wonder if the last para above (2.2) is what is referred to in the first post here… the rest is inconclusive.

t is it not quite common to accept Form 8130 these days?

For new parts, yes. About that, there is no doubt. There is a point of view that such an 8130-3 has to be issued by the manufacturer of the part.

If this were true, you could not put a N-reg aircraft onto the EASA register which you definitely can.

Yes; very true. The Q is: what is the route (if any) for a component.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message